need help with a Trike build.....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont know much about them.
i want to build a low trike that is gravity powered for a derby race.
my big question is how do the back wheels work?
is there one axel that goes all the way through the frame and bolts both wheels on?
also, are there special wheels for that, or will any work?

thanks,
BLINK

Its gravity, it shouldnt matter, you can get trike wheels from many of the sites out there, ball bearings on both sides, that way all you need is an axle to fit. Then again there is the question of how you want to stop it, hehehe.

ive been wanting to do a trike for a while, looks like there are basically 2 kinds out there that are the most common. the Heavy Duty ones look to have a solid axle that both wheels mount on the same axle, you need hollow axle hubs to match the axle diameter. the other kind uses 1 standard rear wheel bolted to a bracket on one side and a standard front wheel bolted to a bracket on the other and basically has a jackshaft ran to the drive wheel.

for a gravity trike, id look for kart parts, like for gokarts, wheelchairs, utility karts... something that lets the wheels move independently from each other would probably be best, that way theres no drag if you need to steer, a solid axle would be fine for going in a straight line though.

you could also check soap box derby parts suppliers

thanks for the help CCR.

trike wheels are expensive though! like $50.
i have few 20" bmx wheels. i am gonna try the single axle method for now and see how it works.
if not, i can always rig two front forks in the back somehow or 2 rear triangles.

Back