Need help with cutting down a fender

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Rollfast tandem is missing its front fender. I bought a set of new Wald chrome fenders. However, the front fender doesn't look all that good to me when it's on the bike.

100_4448%20(Small).JPG

I want to get a longer front fender, so I'm thinking about cutting down the new rear fender to a more pleasing length and look.

100_4446%20(Small).JPG

Any idea on how this could be done successfully without ruining the chrome? Any thoughts and suggestions are encouraged and welcomed.

Thanks.

There's a few ways to do it, mask it off where you're going to cut, and use a hacksaw or jigsaw(on low speed with a metal blade). A bandsaw or even a waterjet would also zap it without heat marks, if you have access to those kind of toys. Just keep in mind that you're working on a light gauge metal that is easily dinged and crushed, so proceed slowly.
Hope that helps,
Rick

The way I've done it:

Lay the front fender over top of the rear and trace the fender edge profile with a Sharpie Marker.I cut a diagonal line in both directions with a hacksaw sorta close to the Sharpie line and finish the final trimming with a bench grinder and files.A sanding block with emory cloth works too.

...or ya can make a Tail Dragger out of it and swing that fender around til it almost touches the ground in back.

I wonder if a Dremel tool with the cut-off wheel would leave a heat mark if I go slow?? My main concern is not to chip and peel the chrome.

I used a rotozip on my Murray fender and it worked fine. I marked it and cut from each edge toward the center then cleaned it up a little with sandpaper and file in reverse order. No heat marks or problems with the chrome.

Ive done the trace method over the other fender and used a pair of sharp tin snips. Just make sure you use the rough part of the snips on the bottom part of the fender. Either that or you can get a jewelers saw that will work as well! Here is a picture of "BLUESY". I chopped the rear fender to shorten it up. This is where I used the trace method i explained.

BLUESY018.jpg

Back