Need Ideas For Fender Repair

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a prewar Schwinn front fender that needs repaired and I'm looking for ideas. The front fender is for a springer bike and I just had the fender rolled. It's in good shape except for one of the indentations for the fork and truss rod, which is in terrible shape. These prewar springer fenders have one long indentation instead of the two indents found on postwar fenders.
I need to make a form somehow that fits inside the fender so I can reshape the indentation. I thought about carving a wood form out of a 4X4, and also thought about using bondo and making a "mold" off of the good side. Any ideas on how to fix this thing would be appreciated. I can take better pics of the thing if needed. Gary
The good side:
DSC04432.jpg

The bad side:
DSC04433.jpg

Top view:
DSC04436.jpg

I had to do this to a fender for my Monark with the Columbia springer. I basically just marked it up where the reliefs had to go and pounded them in. Then I sharpened them up and made them symmetrical with dolly work followed by a skim coat of bondo. Worked out great.

I would think some careful work with a hammer and dolly would fix that right up.

You could make a buck for the backside and a plug that you could use on the frontside... kinda like a stamping die. this would also work, depends on how much time you want to spend on it.

wide pliers and then you could try the side of a hammer on the back, and another hammer to hit it, like sort of a dolly.

Latest posts

Back