Need reccomendations - spoke wrench

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm taking the plunge- going to relace Evelyn's wheels (She's an early 70's Huffy 26 in. middleweight). Have everything I need but a spoke wrench, so I go shopping on line. Anywhere from $0.69 to $40 ! Lots of different sizes. What would you use? Thank you !

I like the Park wrenchs. Is green the size I need? Thanks for the help!

I have one like this
41ffCjPiNDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I have used it to lace and un-lace countless wheels and I have no complaints. Less than $5 on Amazon or from your LBS.

I use the park with the three spoke sizes, the triangle one. It works great!

This one works well for me when the spoke nipples are in good shape...
tspoke.jpg

...but when they are rusted frozen, this Dudly wrench has been an amazing tool.
dudleywrench.jpg

Park Tool makes an adjustable spoke wrench similar to the vintage Dudly... the SW-10.
8ball

udallcustombikes said:
I have one like this

I have used it to lace and un-lace countless wheels and I have no complaints. Less than $5 on Amazon or from your LBS.
1.99 schwinn one at my local rite aid. didnt know i needed it till i saw it. hahah

I've got a couple of those loop ring color coded wrenches, a #0 and a #1. Those cover some of my wheels but not all. For the other wheels I use my Crank Brothers multi tool which has #0, #1, #2, and #3 all in one. It's not the most comfortable since it's a multi tool and that part of the tool doubles as a chain breaker, but it works well on the road/trail and until I ever get around to picking up a #2 and a #3 wrench.

With these it's good to mark the slot you're using clearly, you can wipe the wrenching surface pretty easily on taut spokes, not to mention wasting time eyeballing which one.

My sincere thanks to everyone who posted. It has been very helpful, and I ordered my wrench this morning. Soon I'll be knee deep in spokes, painting my rims & rebuilding my hubs.
I plan to use black epoxy on the rims, tough & should reduce scratches from lacing. I'll keep posting updates.
Again, thanks to everyone. I was fortunate to find such a great group full of great people.

Latest posts

Back