Ne'er-do-well *Deluxe*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These dimples look really clean. What tool did you use and how does it work?
A dimple die. You drill the desired hole size, 1/2" used here, insert the tool and press together. Small ones like these can be pressed in a bench vice.

20220513_055714.jpg

The rules state the finished project has to be rideable so I'm gonna need some pedals. I dug through my box-O'-pedals and these Western Flyer issue pedals should do the job. I rebuilt them long ago and most importantly, the spindles aren't bent which is an anomaly in the box-O'-pedals. So far, I have parts from 13 different bikes and one personal watercraft in this build.

20220513_083900.jpg

Thanks for all of the positive comments and likes on this build!

Tonight I worked on a fiddly detail. I came across a batch of Mr. Gasket tribar air filter wingnuts a while back and they make slick little axle covers. They come with a 5/16 nc thread so for the fronts I tapped them to 5/16 nf and the backs I drill out to accept a 3/8 nf thread.

Whoa! They set my liver aquiver.

20220513_225454.jpg

The most important approval of anything I ride is if the chicks dig it. I mean, if the chicks don't dig it, what's the point? This morning the chicks stopped by as I was lining up the fender braces for some drilling and bolting action. I timidly asked them what they think and they said something like, "Eh, it's OK". They approve! Then they said something snide about my pants and walked away laughing.

20220514_084338.jpg

The most important approval of anything I ride is if the chicks dig it. I mean, if the chicks don't dig it, what's the point? This morning the chicks stopped by as I was lining up the fender braces for some drilling and bolting action. I timidly asked them what they think and they said something like, "Eh, it's OK". They approve! Then they said something snide about my pants and walked away laughing.

View attachment 193373
Gratuitous pup content will really help pull the votes 👍😁

Measure never, cut twice. That's my motto. Looks like my drill is going to get a workout today. By nightfall I want all the tin bolted in place and theoretically rattle free.

I got the fender light for cheap as a defective item. Stuck an LED bulb in it and it works. Who woulda thunk? I'm thinking acid etched and painted. May or may not stay.

20220514_101003.jpg

20220514_101015.jpg

I made the time to get back on with it today. I had to buy a stick of 5/16 nf all thread because by the time the front axle was in the dropouts, the springer trusses, the fender stays, there wasn't enough stub left to screw on the axle covers. I'll be making a slightly wider axle in the next couple of days.

Getting the hind end of the bike setup has been a challenge due to tight clearances and making parts fit a frame they weren't designed for. I've used four different cranks, seven different sprockets, all kinds of bottom bracket parts and spacers, moved the fender and chain guard to and fro, gaaaaaahhhhhhh! Finally have a combination that fits without rubbing anywhere. Gearing will be 48x22 which should get me about 56.5 gear inches. Rear hub is a Shimano type D. The photo following isn't final fit but at least shows where it's headed.

20220519_214406.jpg

looking really good.

Thanks! I need to make the bracket for the back of the chain guard and the tin work will be done. I've got a couple more tricks to try pulling off but I also want to keep it a clean and simple build. I've been looking over hundreds or thousands of photos of traditional hotrods as I move it closer to paint trying to get an idea of the colors that will work to get the attitude I'm chasing.

I made the time to get back on with it today. I had to buy a stick of 5/16 nf all thread because by the time the front axle was in the dropouts, the springer trusses, the fender stays, there wasn't enough stub left to screw on the axle covers. I'll be making a slightly wider axle in the next couple of days.

Getting the hind end of the bike setup has been a challenge due to tight clearances and making parts fit a frame they weren't designed for. I've used four different cranks, seven different sprockets, all kinds of bottom bracket parts and spacers, moved the fender and chain guard to and fro, gaaaaaahhhhhhh! Finally have a combination that fits without rubbing anywhere. Gearing will be 48x22 which should get me about 56.5 gear inches. Rear hub is a Shimano type D. The photo following isn't final fit but at least shows where it's headed.

View attachment 193925
The chain guard and fender really gives this bike a “bold” feel to it. It has a presence of strength. Loving this build.

Latest posts

Back