Ne'er-do-well *Deluxe*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one part to make and one hole to drill and I'll be ready to move on to the next stage of the build. Paint. A few have suggested leaving it bare nekkid metal but I have an itch that I just gotta scratch. Painting supplies will consist of self etching primer, red oxide primer, almond paint, primer sealer,and Kingsford charcoal briquettes. The final product should hopefully look like this photo I swiped from the Google.

DM4.jpg

I see it all in that ^ photo except the 'almond paint'. I always like using models of what I'm going for from the vintage car world. Sometimes stylistically, sometimes just paint wise, and sometimes both.

While I am a fan of the 'bare necessities' on your build, this has me intrigued.....

RaTtle CaN oN ~!

I see it all in that ^ photo except the 'almond paint'. I always like using models of what I'm going for from the vintage car world. Sometimes stylistically, sometimes just paint wise, and sometimes both.

While I am a fan of the 'bare necessities' on your build, this has me intrigued.....

RaTtle CaN oN ~!
The almond is going to be used sparingly to highlight the grooves in the top rear of the chain guard. That section of the bike is visually busy so a little help is needed

Thanks and yep, the tank needed to be on there. I didn't really notice or intend it but the shape of the tank and chain guard are almost identical, especially the belly. Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good!

View attachment 198608
Yep, lucky doesn’t take any practice!
But as legendary golfer Gary Player once said, “luck doesn’t take any practice, but the more I practice, the luckier I get”.

Nice work moulding the tank. Looks even better.
Cant wait for the charcoal briquettes

A painter, I ainter.

Recently while driving somewhere else, I passed a yard sale. What to my wondering eyes should appear but a complete Black and Decker body shop, also known as a Workmate. I chunked my truck into reverse and went back. For the price of 10 dollar value meals, I have graduated from string and my crabapple tree paint booth. I'm giddy with excitement.

First a pro tip from an amateur: Old primer makes a popcorn ceiling effect even after lots of shaking. Second pro tip from an amateur: removing popcorn ceiling effect primer
clogs sandpaper real fast.

Today the tank gets Bondo, the ugly epoxy mutilator.

View attachment 198264
Oven cleaner removes primer like nothing. Cheaper than stripper and cleaner to. I've also had great success with gasket cleaner. Krudd rust remover does very little for rust but works wonders on paint.

Oven cleaner removes primer like nothing. Cheaper than stripper and cleaner to. I've also had great success with gasket cleaner. Krudd rust remover does very little for rust but works wonders on paint.
Fortunately, I only had to knock down the warty bumps and respray it. When I bought this frame it had a super hard paint job. I ended up removing it with a torch and wire brush followed by sanding with a quarter sheet electric sander. Paint is hands down, my least favorite part of ratting.

Fortunately, I only had to knock down the warty bumps and respray it. When I bought this frame it had a super hard paint job. I ended up removing it with a torch and wire brush followed by sanding with a quarter sheet electric sander. Paint is hands down, my least favorite part of ratting.
I just don't if I paint it will look worse much worse but after stripping a bare metal frame. Learning to paint doesn't seem like such a bad idea

Paint, super smooth glossy surfaces with no mistakes. My nightmares consist of painful paint experiences I've had all my life. I work 4 times as hard and long on paint as I do on the rest of the project. Long ago I bought into the 10 foot rule, and sometimes the 20 foot rule.
The best paint job I ever did actually looked pretty good if you stood back a ways, squinted, and caught it in the right light.

The charcoal exercise was an exercise in futility. Firstly, in 24 hours the primer dried harder than any paint I've ever squirted out of a can. Secondly, the color was much brighter than the cap showed. The charcoal wouldn't adhere to it at all, but you should have seen the patina on my hands from trying!

After 45 minutes of messing around, the final part that I was making snapped in half.

I beat a hasty retreat. Back to the rear for resupply (and some Chinese food). I have a new plan that is a another complete roll of the dice.

July has been the month of the endless buzzkill. My retirement got delayed, my job has been pure evil, covid came to my home (not me), heat, humidity, rain, sick dog, on & on. I just lost my driving wheel for bike building. Poor old Ne-Do-Well Deluxe found itself in the murky depths of page 2. Page two has been a character builder for it though, now the ratty old steed has been to the bottom and has come back out with the cred and experience that only comes from hard times.

Today I started hosing on the paint. If things go well, I can begin assembly in a week or so.

It's good to be back

20220731_094631.jpg

July has been the month of the endless buzzkill. My retirement got delayed, my job has been pure evil, covid came to my home (not me), heat, humidity, rain, sick dog, on & on. I just lost my driving wheel for bike building. Poor old Ne-Do-Well Deluxe found itself in the murky depths of page 2. Page two has been a character builder for it though, now the ratty old steed has been to the bottom and has come back out with the cred and experience that only comes from hard times.

Today I started hosing on the paint. If things go well, I can begin assembly in a week or so.

It's good to be back

View attachment 202536
Great to see it back! Good luck building!

Glad that you 'got up off the couch' (metaphorically speaking) and that the build is back in action! Sometimes we have days, weeks, months, even years when things come at us from all directions to try and thwart our enthusiasm and direction for / in life. Sounds like you are back on track!

P.S. did I use enough idioms in that comment or what? :bigsmile:

This is the fun part of any build. Watching it all come together.

Latest posts

Back