Dona Regina build thread

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm the one that's nervous. Hah!

A year ago I didn't even own a bicycle since I gave Wilson to my son becuase I wasn't riding it. Last August he took me to a Dodger game and insisted on paying for everything. We ate crab and King Harbor, near where I grew up as a kid and the next day we rented bicycles in Hermosa so I could take him to my favorite haunt, Killer Shimp in Marina del Rey. Twenty two miles round trip and a few margaritas later I was hooked on bicycles again. He kindly gave me back Wilson when I asked.
A month or so later I found Rat Rod Bikes and the rabbit hole engulfed me.

It wasn't until this morning that I entertained the idea of entering the build-off but then I found this $20 bike locally.
Nelly is a '79 Collegiate 3 that I bought for the Sturmey Archer 3 speed and the tourist bars. I love the saddle too but I can't imagine its very comfortable.

IMG_2625.jpg

It's all there!

IMG_2627.jpg

Excited to dive into this three speed.

IMG_2626.jpg

Something must be done with that chain guard....

IMG_2631.jpg

Tourist bars, nom, nom nom

IMG_2630.jpg

Ed-approved seat post height!

My goal is to use mostly parts that I alread have. The wheels will go for sure because I'm going to try to stuff 26x2 tires into the frame.
I love internally geared hubs and this will be my first SA 3 speed refurbishment. Nelly is in pretty decent shape with minimal rust. I have the saddle jacked to the sky to see if I could possibly ride it.

Off we go!

Last edited:
That is a score! 3 speed Sturmey Archer is my favorite these days. I recently overhauled a collegiate 3 speed men’s frame. It’s a little big for me and doesn’t ride as nice an English 3 speed. I think it might have to do with the tire size. The challenge with going to 26 inch tires will be the brakes won’t reach. I have used the 1080 long reach from Porkchop a few times to solve this. But the long reach negates any mechanical advantage of the brake lever and braking is weak at best.

Looking forward to this one! Love your back story!

I'm the one that's nervous. Hah!

A year ago I didn't even own a bicycle since I gave Wilson to my son becuase I wasn't riding it. Last August he took me to a Dodger game and insisted on paying for everything. We ate crab and King Harbor, near where I grew up as a kid and the next day we rented bicycles in Hermosa so I could take him to my favorite haunt, Killer Shimp in Marina del Rey. Twenty two miles round trip and a few margaritas later I was hooked on bicycles again. He kindly gave me back Wilson when I asked.
A month or so later I found Rat Rod Bikes and the rabbit hole engulfed me.

It wasn't until this morning that I entertained the idea of entering the build-off but then I found this $20 bike locally.
Nelly is a '79 Collegiate 3 that I bought for the Sturmey Archer 3 speed and the tourist bars. I love the saddle too but I can't imagine its very comfortable.

View attachment 231269
It's all there!

View attachment 231270
Excited to dive into this three speed.

View attachment 231271
Something must be done with that chain guard....

View attachment 231272
Tourist bars, nom, nom nom

View attachment 231273
Ed-approved seat post height!

My goal is to use mostly parts that I alread have. The wheels will go for sure because I'm going to try to stuff 26x2 tires into the frame.
I love internally geared hubs and this will be my first SA 3 speed refurbishment. Nelly is in pretty decent shape with minimal rust. I have the saddle jacked to the sky to see if I could possibly ride it.

Off we go!

Love that MAG sprocket as well!

Dang... things were progressing nicely for the first day. An hour after my first post I had her washed and in pieces:
IMG_2643.jpg

IMG_2644.jpg

IMG_2645.jpg

IMG_2647.jpg

Then the bike brain kicks in and asks, "What if you.... you know you have that spare.... I wonder if I could....."
Usually that's when your budget goes out the window.

IMG_2651.jpg

IMG_2654.jpg

IMG_2667.jpg

Come on Ed, you're not serious??

Fine, how about something a little more reserved.
Lose the fork but keep the 1x9 drivetrain maybe.

IMG_2662.jpg

IMG_2663.jpg

IMG_2675.jpg

IMG_2676.jpg

IMG_2677.jpg

IMG_2673.jpg

That's better, except that crank arm looks mighty low.

Sigh...

Dood the Rockshok was madness! Truly off the chain. The straight fork is cool too, I fully approve
It may have to be the squishy fork, the black one is actually about a half inch too short! Zoom in on the headset.

BTW Matti, I'm going 1x9 but those cranks are 175, from what you see would a 165 give me enough clearance? I've even seen ST BMX cranks that are even way shorter. What is pedal to ground minimum for a streed rod like Nelly?
Thanks

Is that squishy fork 1 1/8? There is a guy on eBay that sells a custom headset for converting a Schwinn to accept 1 1/8 steerer tube
There is a guy here that does 😉

Is that squishy fork 1 1/8? There is a guy on eBay that sells a custom headset for converting a Schwinn to accept 1 1/8 steerer tube. (And feel free to send me the Sturmey Archer AW if you don’t want it)
It is 1 1/8 and I bought the conversion headset several months ago and installed it today. Works great it seems.
And the Sturmey Archer is for a future project :grin:

There is a guy here that does 😉
Is it the same guy, out of Chicago?

BTW Matti, I'm going 1x9 but those cranks are 175, from what you see would a 165 give me enough clearance? I've even seen ST BMX cranks that are even way shorter. What is pedal to ground minimum for a streed rod like Nelly?
I really don't know how much clearance is needed. I'm used to higher elevation on my BBs. I'd say try 165, but to me, anything shorter than that starts to feel strange. The circles my feet make are too small. Lowrider technique involves not pedaling when cornering to avoid pedal strikes

If you go with the shocks, it will give a little clearance for the pedals. The difference from the original height of the BB should then be about the same even though your wheels are slightly smaller. And a front brake should fit well.

I really don't know how much clearance is needed. I'm used to higher elevation on my BBs. I'd say try 165, but to me, anything shorter than that starts to feel strange. The circles my feet make are too small. Lowrider technique involves not pedaling when cornering to avoid pedal strikes
Agreed, I got in the habit of pushing the outboard pedal in a turn long ago. I installed a pretty Takage Tourney 165, big ring is chainline perfect.

Yup. Installed smoothly, brakes soon so I can test it out.

If you go with the shocks, it will give a little clearance for the pedals. The difference from the original height of the BB should then be about the same even though your wheels are slightly smaller. And a front brake should fit well.
Thanks Wildcat. I installed the suspension fork and a shorter crank and have about 4 3/4" [12cm] pedal clearance when stood upright.
IMG_2679.jpg

Woe you are getting some work done fast...
You could also get a stem extender/riser, it will raise the height of the bars...(not just for folding bikes)
1683518740778.png

Latest posts

Back