New Bike and New Hip!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I've been really enjoying the builds and projects on this site! I picked up a late 40's Schwinn DX off Craigslist for $100 about a month ago thinking maybe I'd try to motorize it or something and I've been hooked on researching and learning about old bikes every since. Little did I know it, but this bike would play a larger role for me than I could ever have guessed.

See for 25 years, since I was 12, I haven't been able to ride a bike sitting down. My hip joint was destroyed back then by a nasty bone infection, leaving me unable to bend my hip at all. I figured out I could still ride by standing to pedal and only sitting down to coast. So that's what I did and I mostly mountain biked during that time I guess and never liked flat stretches because of the constant up and down that was the reality of my riding.

Notice how I said "was"! On Tuesday, I'm finally getting my hip replaced at age 37 down at Jefferson University Hospital in Philly. I just found out two weeks ago that they now can go in from the front and that materials are thought to last 30-40 years. And one of my favorite parts of this story is that the surgeon says, "now I want you to be riding your bike, swimming and walking is unlimited during your recovery". So wish me luck and keep me in your prayers too because I've got this Schwinn ready to be restored into proper riding condition and doctors orders to ride it.

Kyle

Welcome aboard!

Good luck with your "therapy " :wink:

Beautiful bike too btw 8)

Thanks everyone!

Well, I got my new hip last week and I feel great. They had me out of the hospital the next day and up and walking on crutches. Rehab is going well and the muscle and tendon pain are minimal to the arthritis I was dealing with on a daily basis. To give you an idea of how little motion I had on my right side, I couldn't touch my right knee cap with my right hand! Now I can bend down and reach a foot beyond my knee and also sit normally in a chair. So in a few weeks I should be able to ride my bike sitting down comfortably!

Here's more on my bike...been working on it off and on:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=77229

Man!! you better shoot some vid of your first ride or at least some pics :!: :!: Congrats 8) :D

great idea....I did shoot some pre-op video of me walking but not riding but I'll get some post-op riding and walking videos for sure...thanks! This operation is like a new lease on life for me....a chance to be pain free and enjoy normal motion with my family and friends and riding bikes is a great part of that!

fenderhead said:
great idea....I did shoot some pre-op video of me walking but not riding but I'll get some post-op riding and walking videos for sure...thanks! This operation is like a new lease on life for me....a chance to be pain free and enjoy normal motion with my family and friends and riding bikes is a great part of that!
:D

Latest posts

Back