New bike builder member from Washington DC

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I started building bikes about two years ago, when I could no longer go anywhere socially with my wife due to COVID. I've got 10 road bikes finished and largely sold, along with a few hardtail mountain bikes. The typical road bike out of my basement starts with a 30-year-old Cannondale frame, and then all new components. Same story with hardtail MTB's, but I buy those frames new from China (all carbon).

As a biker, I took up mountain biking about a year ago. I guess that proves you're never too old or too dumb - I'm 67.

I'm quite curious about your Cannondale projects, I've been looking at the 'dales lately, I want a killer V hardtail to build

The Cannondales all end up as road bikes, weighing in at just under 19 lbs. They look almost new when they're done.
IMG_0530.jpg
IMG_0530.jpg

I'm quite curious about your Cannondale projects, I've been looking at the 'dales lately, I want a killer V hardtail to build
It helps alot that I found a marvelous powdercoat paint shop in the industrial section of Baltimore. They strip and paint the bike for $125 (an extra $25 if you include the front fork). I would have paid them that much, with a smile, just to strip it. When it comes back from shop, I put Cannondale decals on it and then a layer of high-quality clearcoat.

I should note - I am addicted to these Super Team carbon fiber wheels, as shown on the photo. Cheap, stiff, reliable and fast - that's all I really wanted from carbon wheels. Oh, right - at around $400 PER PAIR. After buying a half-dozen wheel sets from Super Team, I figured out that they will customize each order to my requirements. All you need to do is ask. Tubeless ready - no problem. Gravel tire width - no problem. Deep dish rim - no problem.

Feel free to drop my name (Larry Gross) if you order from Queen Bike (aka Super Team). My name will not get you a discount, but they'll be super nice to you. (They're always super nice. Ask for Nina).

Last edited:
Thanks, Jason. I've got three of them, almost identical, that I'm trying to sell.
Restomods can be tough to sell for what they are worth, but customers who know what they want are what they attract in lieu of the average "oh look, how shiny" consumers.

I've sort of given up on selling them for what they're worth. I don't make any profit on them or even make money for my labor - it was my alternative to going out to dinner and entertainment.

The market has been a total flip-flop from last year for the restorations, which was my first year as a builder. Last year, I could barely finish a bike before it was sold. This year, it's quiet and dull - and I'm looking at 5 bikes in my basement. They'll sell eventually, but not soon enough for me.

I've sort of given up on selling them for what they're worth. I don't make any profit on them or even make money for my labor - it was my alternative to going out to dinner and entertainment.

The market has been a total flip-flop from last year for the restorations, which was my first year as a builder. Last year, I could barely finish a bike before it was sold. This year, it's quiet and dull - and I'm looking at 5 bikes in my basement. They'll sell eventually, but not soon enough for me.
The market is all over the map but typically resto mods are a hard sell. Most people that are in the know enough to be shopping at that level prefer to personalize

Got any 56, 57, or 58cm frames that aren't done yet? 😁😉

The market is all over the map but typically resto mods are a hard sell. Most people that are in the know enough to be shopping at that level prefer to personalize

Got any 56, 57, or 58cm frames that aren't done yet? 😁😉
In house now - I've got two untouched frames. There's a BIG Cannondale, 65cm, complete with an original front fork. And a 54cm Trek. Both could use a new coat of paint, but in good shape otherwise. Both have 1-inch straight headsets.

Not really what you asked for, but well.... you asked.

I'll sell the purple one that I posted, at any stage of production. It's a 58cm, freshly painted. As of this moment, the Hollowtech II bottom bracket and Cane Creek headset are installed. I'd sell it with the carbon fork, if you want it that way. The bad news is that the carbon fork is black, not purple.

In house now - I've got two untouched frames. There's a BIG Cannondale, 65cm, complete with an original front fork. And a 54cm Trek. Both could use a new coat of paint, but in good shape otherwise. Both have 1-inch straight headsets.

65 is HUGE

@Karate Chicken Industries huge

If you think 65 is huge, I've got a 66 cm too that's already finished and up for sale. The 66cm is a L.L. Bean Special Edition Cannondale, sold only in LL Bean department stores in New England in the late 1980s. It's in good shape, but I didn't get that one painted due to the L.L. Bean signatures.

Know any professional basketball players who need a bike?

Latest posts

Back