New bikes are disappointing.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Mother in law gave me $70.00 for Christmas (plus a few other little things). I decide to spend it on a new cruiser from Kmart, I already new Wal-Mart didn't have any in stock. I searched last night on the Internet to see what they had. They show a 26" cruiser on sale for $98.99 http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1010 ... 088884811P I wanted to strip it down, repaint it, no fenders, etc. I thought I could use the fenders, and chain guard on something else, but the fenders were so cheaply made they were already bent on the two bikes they had. The overall look and feel of the bike was so bad I couldn't bring myself to buy one. I know these aren't the top of the line bikes, but I didn't think they would be that junky. I thought it would be a fun and cheap build. I hate the front forks on them. I'm glad I'm not a kid looking for a new bike.

check garage sales and thrift store for huffys and murrys(sp?) from the 80's theyre easy to find cheap and the quality is alot better than the box store schwinns

sensor said:
check garage sales and thrift store for huffys and murrys(sp?) from the 80's theyre easy to find cheap and the quality is alot better than the box store schwinns
So far the Thrift stores in my area have only had BMX, and small childs bikes, plus the prices are not cheap. Today I did find the girls version of the Kmart bike at the Salvation Army store. It was ok, the tires didn't match, and it was $40.00. I didn't buy it. I'll keep looking though.

Markm said:
http://springfield.craigslist.org/bik/970750670.html
That's a good buy @ $50.00, but it's 3 hours away. Columbia/Jefferson city is about an hour away, KC too. I haven't found anything worth going after yet.

garage sell bikes are kinda scarce this time of year around here but id say thats your best bet, but often the fenders are beat up on them too most times.

my bike shop (ma&pa style) often has alot of trade-ins, often for cheap just because he would rather have the room instead too

Big Fat Whitewalls said:
My Mother in law gave me $70.00 for Christmas (plus a few other little things). I decide to spend it on a new cruiser from Kmart, I already new Wal-Mart didn't have any in stock. I searched last night on the Internet to see what they had. They show a 26" cruiser on sale for $98.99 http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1010 ... 088884811P I wanted to strip it down, repaint it, no fenders, etc. I thought I could use the fenders, and chain guard on something else, but the fenders were so cheaply made they were already bent on the two bikes they had. The overall look and feel of the bike was so bad I couldn't bring myself to buy one. I know these aren't the top of the line bikes, but I didn't think they would be that junky. I thought it would be a fun and cheap build. I hate the front forks on them. I'm glad I'm not a kid looking for a new bike.

Yep, definetly no BFK's this year, bummer :cry:

Don't get discouraged......these are all Huffys and Murrays from thrift stores, Craigslist and "gifts" from the LBS.
There are tons of them out there....be patient!

PA170017.jpg

100_1288.jpg

HUFFYCRANBROOK24.jpg

HUFFYCRANBROOK26.jpg

BLUEHUFFY1.jpg

100_1103.jpg

100_1010.jpg

momsbike.jpg

sarahsbike1.jpg

dadsbike.jpg

I paid an average of $25-$30 for all of these except for a few "freebies" and the last pic...that one was a bit more, but the tank light housing and lens were perfect and the bike was totally rust & dent free. Paid about $75 for that one (before I restored it).

Latest posts

Back