New Departure Model D hub... still squeeling...?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a New Departure Model D hub laced into a new wood rim on my 1926 Hartford, but when i took it out for its first ride the brake was squeeling. I tore it apart, soaked everything in a chem bath, and re-assembled it, greasing ONLY the bearings, then adding some sewing machine oil through the oil cap. But it is still squeeling??? I Re-built the New Departure model D hub on my brothers schwinn the same exact way and his hub works great. Maybe it has something to do with being mounted in a wood rim? Any ideas?
newdeparture.jpg

s1.jpg

some type of wear on the inner wall maybe? i have a hub that makes a slight, almost cricket sound, and i have no idea why.

On the gear side of the axle there is an adjustable cone with a lock nut on top of that. If that lock nut is missing by chance that might be your problem. Also, make sure your brake discs and the steel spacers are nice and flat. Gary

I put a very thin layer of grease on both sides of each disc. I also wipe the inside of the hub with oil and put a few drops along the slots for the discs. The squeeling can be from no oil reaching the ends of the disc pack. Put a couple of drops in through the filler then tilt the bike to each side while slowly spinning the wheel to spread the oil around.

Latest posts

Back