New Departure model D problems

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I've only torn apart/reassembled a couple hundred of these over the past 17 years and I've never run across this issue. I pulled it all apart, cleaned, regreased. Used a straightedge to line up my washers and put the assembly back in. I put on the drive screw and tightend the cone nut. I spun the wheel and it felt smooth and even. Then I cranked back the cog to brake and it just spun backwards with a crunchy feeling. I held the brake arm in place with the wheel stationary and turned back the cog. No good. So I pulled it apart and the retaining clip tab was bent. I straightened it, reassembled, no good, same thing happened. I put a piece with the clip in from another hub, reassembled, same thing happened. So I pulled the guts out of another perfect fully functioning model D, Put it all into the shell of the wheel I am working on. It isn't bending the tab, but still won't engage the brake unless the cone nut is too tight to allow the wheel to spin freely. On each occasion when I pull the guts out, the washers are all in place and lined up perfectly, so there is no chance that the last washer or washers are not in the slots. I can only conclude that the problem is in the shell, even though there is no visual sign of any issue. Any ideas?

Latest posts

Back