New Departure rear hubs???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm currently looking at a wheel set that has a New Departure rear hub with a skip tooth 10 tooth cog, I've never had any experience with the skip tooth stuff...
My question is multiple, how had are these to rebuild should it need it?
Can the skip tooth cog be replaced with a standard cog without major surgery?
Does it have to be replaced to run with a conventional chain and crank sprocket?

The factor that has me on this is the hubs are black (war time), ok a minor issue but I won't have to start the wheel set from scratch to get an aesthetic I'm wanting. I also want to avoid the skip tooth drive train to keep costs down and not have to hunt down a ST crank and chain.

Any help greatly appreciated!

I'm currently looking at a wheel set that has a New Departure rear hub with a skip tooth 10 tooth cog, I've never had any experience with the skip tooth stuff...
My question is multiple, how had are these to rebuild should it need it?
Can the skip tooth cog be replaced with a standard cog without major surgery?
Does it have to be replaced to run with a conventional chain and crank sprocket?...

If you can rebuild any hub, you can rebuild this one... no meaningful difference in difficulty.

Yes standard (1/2in) cogs were and are available and interchange.

Yes you must change the cog to 1/2in in order to use a 1/2in chain and chainwheel.

Last edited:
To remove the rear cog, you first have to remove the silver lock ring. It is LEFT HAND THREAD. Don't destroy it like I did the first one I worked on.:rolleyes: After you remove the ring, the cog and drive screw assembly will unscrew out. Find a new cog like you want with drive screw attached and you won't have to mess with changing the cog off the drive screw. A skip tooth setup used the same crank as 1/2" pitch. Only the chain ring is different. If you have a good skip tooth chain, the gears are easy to get. Gary

As others have said, rebuilding a ND hub is not difficult. I can help you with parts if you need anything. I have the transfer springs which often need replacing as well as new clutch parts. I also have the 1/2 inch pitch sprockets so you can change from skiptooth.

As others have said, rebuilding a ND hub is not difficult. I can help you with parts if you need anything. I have the transfer springs which often need replacing as well as new clutch parts. I also have the 1/2 inch pitch sprockets so you can change from skiptooth.
Outstanding! Of course after all of this great info and now firmly committed to getting the wheelset... I'll probably lose it in the last 30 seconds:headbang:

Hey Gary, that's kind'a what I was figuring (Re: cranks), but you key words in that, "a good ST chain", I'm sort of under the assumption that going the ST route will be substantially pricier than going with a standard 1/2" cog and drive components... gotta pinch pennies where I can and don't see the ST stuff bringing anything to the project these would be for.

Crassley, expect a message if I get these things, you will be the first person I contact once I get them in my hands... assuming I get them?!

Everybody else, appreciate the info...

Thanks!

NOTE: Yep just as I expected, price went bat crap in the last minute... Oh well!

Last edited:
Oh I don't have any real particular set I'm specifically looking for... well yea, cheap!:rolleyes:
This particular set I was going after had my next project all over them, hubs black, soft shoulder rims... that were good enough to use and not have to totally dismantle them, yet bad enough that I could rattle can them guilt free, "had" (in the most sincere use of past tense) a reasonable price and nobody was watching them until the last minute!:banghead:

So thanks for the offer, let me know if you have anything roughly in those parameters.

I'll check and see what I can find. The blackout hubs will be the toughest part. I'm assuming you are looking for 26 inch balloon.

I'll check and see what I can find. The blackout hubs will be the toughest part. I'm assuming you are looking for 26 inch balloon.
Yep, 26" balloon... not so much looking specifically for the black out ND's in a much as I'm looking for black hubs, the set I was trying to get just happened to have them, would have gone after them if they were black shimano cruise hubs. As I said it was just the right set at the right time, I have a nice newer cruiser set with a great dark aqua green/blue (Really weird color to describe) that just has a nice finish and I can't go into them with sandpaper without a bad feeling in my gut:eek:.

Went through my wheel sets looking for something that might work for you. Thought a pair from a Monark might work, but when I removed the tires I found they were too badly rusted inside. Sorry. If I run across something I'll let you know.

That's cool, appreciate it!

Latest posts

Back