New dude from Tacoma

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, had bikes when I was a kid. I used to make jumps and such. My brother inlaw bought "some old bike" and started messing with it a little. I thought it was dumb, untill I jumped on it. How fun is it to ride a bike that was made for the sole purpose of riding a bike. So I went on craigslist and found a early sixties western flyer. It was pretty rough being 50 years old and all, but I'm gonna have some fun with it. For this first summer I'm gonna ride it like it is. It rains here in the fall, winter, and spring so I will use this rainy time to make all the changes. Not sure what I'm gonna to do in full, but I want a lot of chrome, some fatty white walls, and a new paint job for sure... any way that's my plan. When I build it I will post photos and have a thread for the build. For now here is bike, I already put new handle bars on it, and I am looking for some new wheels (it has two rear wheels on it now) and tires (these also don't match).
IMG_20110720_153238.jpg

There it is don't really know if this is the kind of intro you wanted, but that's what I got.

Hey, is that Tacoma WA. I used to live right outside mcchord air force base back in 97 when I used to be in the army. Yes it rains a lot. Good looking bike you got there. It looks like a murray built

Yeah tacoma wa. It is murray made. This is the closest I have come up with for a proper id of the bike.
http://www.nostalgic.net/bicycle215.htm
I don't know which it is because its missing a lot of the added parts. But I'm gonna have some fun with this frame. There's a few things I really like about it. The top and center bars are doubles instead of just the center like on most old cruisers. And it has this little bat wing at the rear fork I like a lot as well I have a picture of it.
IMG_20110720_153400.jpg

See how its just way longer then what it needs to be? I think its really cool. And the chain gaurd is really cool too. I am really excited to get into this bike and hobby. I'm almost impatiantly waiting for summer to end so I can start the build.

Welcome aboard! Great starter bike. My only word of advice, go simple on your first build, ride the tires off of it, then upgrade it. My first bike took WAY too long because I went overboard. :roll:

Cheers,
Dr. T

Man I grew up out there, just down the road from Bethel high school. Graduated from Bellarmine, over by Cheney Stadium.

If you get the chance, cruise on out to Graham and see if Bill the Bike Guy's old yard is still around. Just behind Meridian Auto Wrecking. Bill died several years ago but his shop was supposed to be kept going by his numerous friends/clients. He had some neat stuff, including Harley and Indian bicycles from way back when. All three of my Columbias ended up in his inventory.

Clean that sucker up and go spend some time on the Ruston waterfront. It will fit right in, yet still draw a crowd.

Hey thanks a lot for the warm welcome. I do plan on going simple and cheap. I have some hook ups for powder coating, and painting and we have many great bike shops in the area. I just got back from vacation and I probably put about 15 miles on it... so fun to ride!! And my wife has a new cruiser pink shwinn (its pretty).
IMG_20110721_203759.jpg

Together along with my brother inlaw we rode more then I have since I was a kid. It was a blast!!! I think the extra sproket helped!

I'm gonna have to look and ask around about that place behind the wrecking yard, sounds pretty cool always nice to here from people who used to live here (do you miss it?). I have been down the waterfront a few times already perfect place for an old cruiser. Anyway again thanks for the welcome.

Latest posts

Back