New guy from Connecticut

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been lurking here for a few weeks and have really learned a lot here so I felt that it was time to start posting.

I still own my first bike, a Ross Barracuda 16 that I got for Christmas in '71 or '72. It passed through the hands of a few nephews after that, but I reclaimed it a few years ago. It has recently re-emerged from my basement. My five year old daughter spotted it and asked if we could fix it up so she could use it to learn how to ride without training wheels.

MollysBike007_zpsb3211458.jpg

After I outgrew that, I moved on to bigger bike. My father bought it at a sidewalk sale in the mid-70's for $7. At the time, by older brother had a metallic blue Schwinn five speed with a high sissy bar. My new-used bike was a purple three speed that immediately received its own high sissy bar. I rode this bike for at least three years, but I never paid much attention to what it was. It was just a purple three speed. But I was absolutely certain that my brother had a Schwinn five speed, and that's what I really wanted.

I started thinking about the purple three speed recently and, after a month of interne research, I have determined that it was a Raleigh Rodeo TCW with a Sturmey Archer three speed stick. I eventually sold it to the guy who would become my brother-in-law, but the bike is long gone. Sorry, no photos.

I recently picked up a ratty 1973 Schwinn Speedster three speed to chase my daughter around with. I wouldn't say that I restored it, but I replaced the seat with a repro and the grips with some period correct ones with the right amount of patina. It's a fun little bike.

VintageSpeedster003_zpsc1ab3c13.jpg

SchwinnBikes025_zpsae710cd6.jpg

Once I figured out the mystery of the old Raleigh, I decided that I needed one. I found this Raleigh Fireball five speed about five minutes from my house. I haven't run the serial number yet, so I don't know what year it is. It has a Sting Ray bar and seat, along with some awful grips and the same speedometer that I had a s a kid. It's a really nice bike. It will be completely restored for my daughter.

SchwinnSpeedster020_zpsffa3fecb.jpg

I also picked up a 1970 Schwinn Hollywood, that I bought locally for $20. It's really nice original, but it will probably become a parts donor.

Schwinns001_zps465ec427.jpg

And then there's this thing. It was advertised as an early Schwinn Sting Ray three speed, but it's clearly not. It's not that old, has no emblems, has a matte red respray and cheap chrome. The rear dropouts are pointy, so I'm guessing it might be a Murray of some sort. If anybody has any guesses as to what it is, I'd like to hear it. I do have to say that it's a decent rider, but I'll probably pass it on soon.

SchwinnBikes017_zpsb74a0668.jpg

And finally, I'm awaiting the arrival of the 1966 coaster brake Sting Ray that I just bought off eBay. This one will also get a bare metal restoration.

685157856_o_zps6004eed4.jpg

I suppose that I should also mention that I'm the original owner of a Sears Free Spirit / Tanaka Bike Bug engine. Sooner or later, I'll find something to put this on.

PsychoScooter003.jpg

Woodyhfd said:
And then there's this thing. It was advertised as an early Schwinn Sting Ray three speed, but it's clearly not. It's not that old, has no emblems, has a matte red respray and cheap chrome. The rear dropouts are pointy, so I'm guessing it might be a Murray of some sort. If anybody has any guesses as to what it is, I'd like to hear it. I do have to say that it's a decent rider, but I'll probably pass it on soon.

SchwinnBikes017_zpsb74a0668.jpg

UPDATE:

I've found the serial number on the red bike and to my surprise, it looks like the frame is a 1966 Murray (M06 48 xxxxxx). I'm not sure what the 48 means or what the model was originally called, but at least I'm getting closer. Unfortunately, almost everything else on the bike is much newer.

Welcome from Massachusetts ! 8)

Great bunch of bikes ya got there!

:mrgreen:

Welcome I see your from ct. You should look into riding with New England rat Rod club we ride in ct and some other place in mass. Looking into it.
Awesome pictures by the way I myself just got into this.
Have fun
Jvcsi2884

Hello Woody, now I know why you asked about a previous bike of mine. I still have a couple of
20" bikes if you're interested. An Ross Apollo, an Iverson ? and a Huffy BMX all ratty with primer grey
paint,red rims,5 speeds, with big white NOS tires. Again,hope you catch a ride soon. Cheshire,Simsbury,
and the upcoming NoHo E'ton ridr. Welcome ..........Stevil

Latest posts

Back