New guy from North Carolina

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. I've been tinkering on cars since I was 14, and am ambitiously accruing parts to build my first rat rod, but in the process I may take a detour and build a rat bike out of some parts I have laying around.

Most of the stuff I have is hard tail mountain bike stuff, but I'd like to build it into a rat bike (possibly steampunk style). Has anyone built theirs from a mountain bike frame? The one I have is a Specialized Rockhopper that I bought when I was in college (early 90's) from a police auction. It's done its fair share of commuting me to class, so it's time to make it into a classy commuter!

Any suggestions off the bat? I like the swoopy lines of the old Schwinn's, and this one unfortunately has NONE. Very angular. At least the front fork is smooth and swoopy - but that's about it.

Welcome! Look closely, I made this frame from two mountain bike frames, with the two top tubes parallel to each other, and a copper tank in between. I've done this two-mountain-bike-frames-together method twice now, and I'm planning a third.
IMG_2221_zpse5f3b962.jpg

Latest posts

Back