New guy from San Diego

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

Picked up a 1952/53 schwinn recently. I dont know the model as it seems there are a lot of very similar models, and it didnt come with a chain guard, which seems the easiest way to detect certain models.

My main goal is to make it rat rod with a lower stance and have a teal/rusty paint job.

My mods are:
chopped the seat pole so the seat sits flush on the frame
american model chainguard
old bullet style LED headlight with yellow Vinyl
round LED tail light
26" springer bent fork
rusty baked beans can for bottle holder
no name garage sale kick stand altered for lower stance

Here it is when I first got it, found it on craigslist.
qKrx1Iw.jpg

User citristrip to pull off about 4 layers of paint. Also showing off my $25 DIY bike workstand.
xhzT1Lj.jpg

Another shot on the stand
a0529qC.jpg

Used a disc flap on my angle grinder to get most of the paint off. Used a ball pein hammer to round off some of the dents. ill be leaving the mounting arms rusty/exposed. This was done after two cycles of citristrip. stubborn paint.
xBNzraF.jpg

Put it all together to get an idead of the stance. Im ordering a smaller crank soon. probably 4 1/2 or 5 1/2 so i can pedal without hitting the ground.

I will also be using the original front fender and the front springer is currently being painted. Tested the teal painting scheme on the chain guard first.
eFB1kuK.jpg

another shot
i6kWnBa.jpg

A little sneak peak to the color. I started with a off red and then did a coat of orangish brown. I ended with a satin teal mist. After teal dried, I sanded with 600 and 400 to show the brown and red layers. Clear coated over it all with matte clear.
FMW5Xfb.jpg

xEXb9nH.jpg

Bike is currently at the welder getting a new mount for the kickstand. The old one rusted off so its getting reinforced and a new mount. I dont have the equipment to weld, everything else im doing myself.

overall im happy with the paint scheme. I wanted it to be a mix of real rust and simulated rust. I also live a few blocks from the beach and dont want it to rust up too quick and lose structural integrity.

also, when buying a new one piece crank, should i go 4 1/2 or 5 1/2? Has anyone had either with a low bike? Its not super low, but low enough to touch now.

Are these old models 24 tpi? How do I tell? THANKS!!!

Latest posts

Back