New guy from the PNW

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I am new to the site- found it last week when I was looking for pictures of old cantilever framed bikes. I picked up a red Hawthorne a few days later that I plan on using for the Seattle to Portland ride this year. It has the seat stays connect to the sides of the seat tube and then continue on to the top of the head tube with a third tube starting at the seat tube and arcing down lower on the head tube- will try to get some pictures of it soon. I already pulled the fenders and chain guard off, and swapped out the handlebars for a mtn bike set I had laying around. I also cleaned and packed the crank bearings, and have the Excel mark iv coaster hub apart as I type. I think the bike is from 1973, the hub parts are stamped with 7/72 and 11/72, which would be cool because I was also made in 73. I am still in the process of figuring out exactly what I want to do with this bike design wise.

I have been teaching myself how to work on bikes for a few year now and seem to be going backwards in technology. I have gone from 27 speed road and mountain bikes to converting the mountain bike to a single speed with drop bars, buying an older Kona chromoly mtn bike, an 84 Nishiki Tri-A 14 speed for triathlons, and now picking up the Hawthorne. Luckily my wife puts up with my bike hobby since I have given up on car projects.

I love looking through the gallery at some of the amazing bikes that have been built. I look forward to getting input as my build progresses and will try to limit my newbie questions.

Cheers

Back