New guy here

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Next to zero experience with bicycles but a background in auto body, airbrush painting, Military collecting, and leather work. Just picked up a 1952 or 57 Schwinn that I'd like to fashion a military style bike from so I'll be resurrecting and older thread here soon once I gather my thoughts on the project and take some photos. Looking to find the missing parts for it, they don't need to be tip top shape because the bike will be painted entirely in olive drab green paint. All chrome and bare metal as well. Looking forward to learning more about this hobby and maybe continue on. I'm pretty much interested in all things old so this is a great way to use the skills I've learned over the years on something new but remain within my realm.

Not that it matters from an artistic standpoint, but, while there are those who claim otherwise, there is no evidence Schwinn ever produced bicycles for the US military. In WW2 the Army and Navy did issue Westfield and Huffman bikes and accompanying paperwork, but not Schwinn. Unfortunately Schwinn bicycle i.d. info from before 1949 was lost in a fire, but it is generally excepted that Schwinn ceased bicycle production altogether, instead concentrating on munitions casings and electrical components. :bigboss:

Don't let that stop you, we're all about the fun here :thumbsup:, just don't be surprised if you hear this diatribe again :soapbox: from some other know-it-all. :grin:

Yeah, I was aware of that but the vintage look is there and good enough for a fantasy item which is my only intention, well that and replacing the cheap huffy I sold before moving back to Cali. A little hot for me in Vegas but loving it here. So I'd like to have something to poke around on and maybe bring to Air Shows, another passion of mine. Been an avid military collector for about 30 years so I've got a nicely rounded knowledge of most items from most eras. This is no exception as I did the research before deciding to go with the project. I 'm just planning on a bare bones all olive green job, nothing special for now but maybe some fancy airbrush in the future if I come up with some nice frames. Again, just for the fun of it as I'm pretty bogged down already with the rigidity of dealing in military stuff. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Welcome '48 Stars, one bike is how it all starts...

Not that it matters from an artistic standpoint, but, while there are those who claim otherwise, there is no evidence Schwinn ever produced bicycles for the US military. In WW2 the Army and Navy did issue Westfield and Huffman bikes and accompanying paperwork, but not Schwinn. Unfortunately Schwinn bicycle i.d. info from before 1949 was lost in a fire, but it is generally excepted that Schwinn ceased bicycle production altogether, instead concentrating on munitions casings and electrical components. :bigboss:

Don't let that stop you, we're all about the fun here :thumbsup:, just don't be surprised if you hear this diatribe again :soapbox: from some other know-it-all. :grin:

This looks like a Schwinn to me, but I don't think the props department quite got the vintage right for the Korean conflict. Artistic license for all.:thumbsup:
Klinger-m-a-s-h-1564419-267-399.jpg

Thanks fellas, certainly seems like a friendly and helpful place to be. I'll be much more active once I get the work area set up.

Welcome '48 Stars, one bike is how it all starts...

This looks like a Schwinn to me, but I don't think the props department quite got the vintage right for the Korean conflict. Artistic license for all.:thumbsup:
Klinger-m-a-s-h-1564419-267-399.jpg
Chrome turnout handlebar!?!? Blasphemy!!!! :mad:
:crazy::rofl:

Handle bar are one thing needed for my build, the right side is busted off. What would be the best place to start a thread on my personal Military type build? A friend on one of my miltary forums gave me this link but perhaps there is a better way considering I'll be seeking advice, parts, etc. Here's a few pics of the heap I found. Hope you guys can assist in the resurrection.

This> http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?forums/builds.21/ is probably the best place to start keeping a log of your build. There are quite a few military themed builds/threads scattered through out the site, but no specific forum. Looks like you have a Murray (or maybe Snyder) sprocket, a somewhat desirable original offset pivot Schwinn springer fork, and probably S-7 rims, which will only accept Schwinn 1 3/4" tires. You may have gotten lucky and gotten S-2 rims, which take standard 26"x2.125" tires. If the rims are not clearly marked, maybe you can find a size marking on the sidewall of the tire that's on there. An unsprung fork would be more "authentic" in my opinion, you can probably find one in the "swap meet" forum, along with some old full fenders. You could probably get a few bucks for the fork, but if it was me I'd either use it, or hang on to it just because it seems to be original to the bike.
:forum:

Latest posts

Back