new guy, intro inside

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy all, never knew this culture existed! I have been a collector/restorer of vintage BMX bikes for years, but recently gave in to this monster that haunted me at night. This is my first go at a 'rat', although I have been envisioning this bike for a couple years. My only regret is that i didn't get any 'before' pics, you should have seen this pile just waiting to get thrown away. I came across the wheels and the vision of the rat kept gnawing at me. Sandblasting, painting, polishing and swearing brought it to life last weekend. What do you guys think? By the way, I am DIGGING the gallery of bikes! I have never seen bikes like this, I am floored that you guys are here (I DO live in the middle of the desert) :) This is a 1983 Univega 'cruiser 100' 24" off road bike. The wheelset is a crazy 144 spoke with red powdered rims. I'll throw a chain on tomorrow and hit the street :wink:

ratbike2pt1.jpg

ratbike1bu3.jpg

ratbike3ih6.jpg

Dude i like the look of your bike its simple and clean. Is the rest of your bike powder coated? I just took the rest of my bike to the powder shop to finish the frontend of it,once again niceley done build. P.S. you said you live in the middle of the desert i live in arizona so im guessing your from the southwest?

Yuma to be exact. I rattle canned it flat black (after getting the F/F beadblasted) It really isn't done yet, I think I will probably be fine tuning some details over time. I mainly built a 'beater' for my girlfriend to scoot around with me around the city, tried to do it as 'low buck' as possible. I think maybe I'll ride this one and she can ride my bmx race cruiser :mrgreen:

Here is mine as you can see i like the red and black look also. since this pic i have done the forks and handlebars black and the gooseneck red.
newpicsofratrodbike008.jpg

Nice, clean build. I like the bmx look. Great job!

BTW, you might want to post a quick intro in the intro thread as well.

Welcome aboard!

I realy like your "big" bmx styled bike,

i'm working on a similar project myself, what kind bars are those? i like the shape they have!

Welcome aboard!
You know, I've never been much of a bmx fan - I guess I was just born too early (that's code for "I'm just too old!" :roll: ) - but that's very clean, cool build! Nice job! 8)

bet it was fun trying to lace up those wheels. neat bike reminds me of a KOS mongoose

Latest posts

Back