New Guy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I just found this site searching for info on my old, new bike. It's an '85 Schwinn Predator Streetwise. It's is nowhere near the pinnacle of BMX evolution, but it's nostalgic for me. I saved up all my allowance, odd chore, and lawn mowing money that summer to buy this bike.

IMG_1341.jpg

This past weekend my son was staying with my parents. He's 4 and just got a kid's bike for his birthday. He's gotten good enough (with training wheels) that it's difficult to keep with him on foot, but I don't need my 700c-wheeled hybrid to keep up with him. So, my dad (with my son's help) dug out my old BMX bike and cleaned it up a bit and brought it to me.

It's in decent shape, but needs a bit of work. For starters, it has tiny little rust pits all over it. I can polish these out with chrome polish, but they come right back. A coat of wax over it after polishing should help, but is there a longer term solution? Is there a better way to detail it? I'm hoping Rat Rod (or is it Mr. Rod?) can help with tips. His recent '85 NIghthawk is a very similar bike that looks great. Incidentally, the Nighthawk is what I wanted back in '85, I just didn't have the extra coin. It was one step up from the Streetwise.

Hey Billy,

You've come to the right place my friend. :wink:

You need some #0000 steel wool and WD40 to polish that chrome.

Here's the 85 Streetwise that I detailed and sold last year....

Started with this...

IMG_2328.jpg

And ended with this...

predator6.jpg

predator5.jpg

predator3.jpg

predator8.jpg

predator9.jpg

predator4.jpg

The tires can still be purchased from Ginny's BMX and I know of a source for the pads too.

http://rinienterprises.com/

Rat Rod said:
Here's the 85 Streetwise that I detailed and sold last year....

Started with this...

IMG_2328.jpg

And ended with this...

predator6.jpg

Yep. That's exactly what I'd like to accomplish. Do you have any more tips?

BTW, if you decide to sell the Nighthawk, I'd be interested. Twenty-four years late is better than never.

Rat Rod said:
The tires can still be purchased from Ginny's BMX and I know of a source for the pads too.

http://rinienterprises.com/

I checked Ginny's, and saw some Cheng Shen Blue Skinwalls that are pretty darn close (close enough, to be honest), but I didn't see any actual NOS Predator tires. Is there something I'm missing or am I just too late?

If you don't mind, I'd appreciate the info on your source for the pads.

Thanks to all for the welcome and the help.

Looks like she must have sold out of the Predator tires...bummer!

I just sold the Nighthawk on the BMX Museum for $375 shipped last week....it's on it's way to Tempe, AZ as I type.

You need to contact Kevin for the pads..he says he has all of the colors available:

http://myworld.ebay.com/rusty8857&ssPag ... X:SELLERID

I'll let you know if I think of any more tips. :wink:

Latest posts

Back