new here from nj.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
im a car guy, pretty much like anything old but really into mopar to muscle cars. have a dart, duster and a wagoner right now. my son is just learning to ride a bike, ive been riding a skateboard when we go but im going to have to get my wife and I some bikes. I have a 2 of my old rigid mountain bikes, and a green metal flake banana seat bike. but im looking to do some cruisers. one for me, one for her. im thinking some used bikes from CL that I can throw some parts at over the winter.

I don't know the make of the green bike I've had it like 13 years though. Yesterday I brought home another banana seat bike that my brother had about the same time, he left it behind his shed a few years and it went to crap but I brought it home. It's a blue sears bike with an Extended chrome rigid fork. 20" rear slick and 22" narrow front tire. It's a free wheel with multiple speeds. Maybe 5? Shifter cable is and chain were frozen solid and some of the chrome got pretty rusty but I like it more than the green bike I already had. I guess it was some ones creation back In the day.

so im looking to pick up some bikes for my wife and i. I picked a few old cruisers out of the trash when i was a kid and always liked them. never got a chance to own another one though. always wanted one especially while the dyno cruisers were out. so now years later I was hoping to build a pretty cool bike for myself based around one of the aftermarket monark style forks. im facing reality and with a bunch of old cars, and a 4 year old I really don't have the time to hunt for cool old bikes and parts. i want something to ride now. would really like to pick something up in to enjoy the last few weeks of nice weather. I figured id pick up a cheap new, or decent used bike to work on a little here and there. redo it over the winter. guys are doing some cool stuff with the walmart huffys. I checked them out and just wasn't into them. felt small and cheap. ive been watching cl for a few weeks. couple interesting bikes popped up. some electra cruisers, and a few dynos. most more than i really want to spend for a used bike. the Hampton cruisers seemed interesting from what i saw. i decided since i didn't like the huffy after trying it out, i better try bike shops. took my kid and hit a bunch the last few days. the stock is limited this time of year but now my head is spinning.

i started out wanting the basic electra cruiser, figured it would be cool to add a springer and a rear rack. different seat, tires, some other stuff.
i liked the one Hampton cruiser i think it was the delux, pretty cool looking aluminum frame, lime green and black, had fenders, rode pretty nice. price wasn't bad.
then i came across the electra sparker. when i sat on it, it just felt perfect. now i see why so many guys on here say they ride great. i like the idea of the 3 speed. i like the aluminum frame. pretty cool looking. not sure id change a whole lot on it. seems like the monark style fork wouldn't really look to good on it, but i guess it could go either way. im not real crazy about the 24" and 26" tire, i mean it looks great, but i wonder if the 24" fat tires will be available long term. its also a little more than i was hoping to spend since im looking to buy 2 bikes. not ruled out though.

i saw a purple dyno glide, for reasonable price. really don't like the purple. kind of ratty so i wouldn't feel bad about painting it and changing a bunch of stuff. it looked like it had disc brakes and 3 speed which i thought was kind of cool. there was also a much cleaner black one but single speed and just a coaster brake. still the hot rod style like the sparker, which i cant really explain. i really like the hotrod style, but not what i had in mind. i was hoping to have a rack, basket, crate, something like that. my son is a diabetic so i need to be able to carry plenty of stuff when we go for a ride. right now i ride a skateboard with a backpack while hes riding his bike. we have plenty of parks to hit, but im looking for something i can ride anywhere.
so just looking for some input, hot rod style vs classic, springer vs rigid fork, 3 speed, single speed... should this be in another section?

My junk
null_zps727957a4.jpg

Latest posts

Back