New Here, in Ottawa Canada

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently found the site and have been reading a lot, just joined.

I used to build a lot of bikes but haven't for years. As a kid we used to build our banana seat bikes into choppers with extended forks and little front wheels! I had a 1930's or maybe 50's? CCM 28" wheel bike I loved but I left it outside and it rusted away.

Now with a couple of kids anxious to do stuff, I want to get back into it. I have a 1972 CCM with 26" wheels I found in the garbage...all original with fenders and everything but it's too small for me. I'm currently on the prowl for a 28" CCM with a humped bar....like one I had when I was a younger. I'll trade or sell this green thing in the process.

I bought my son a really nice new BMX bike but he wants an old banana seat BMX with springs and shocks.....good choice son!

I own a variety of other interesting stuff including a scratch built motorcycle made from balloon tire bicycle parts and airplane aluminum using a 1930's Johnson Ironhorse motor. My grandfather built it.

Looking forward to the site, thanks.

Neil in Ottawa

img_1910.jpg

I should post a shot of the motorcycle.....

My great uncle who was my Grandfathers brother inlaw rode a 1928 Grindlay-Peerless (English bike) and my Grandfather couldn't afford to buy one so he built his own, patterned after the Grindlay-Peerless. He worked for a company in Winnipeg during the war building wings for DC-3 airplanes. Prior to the war they made washing machines. Well back then they put Johnson 4-stroke motors on old washing machines for farmers. He found some old motors in the back shed and built the frame from wing-strut aluminum, all riveted together. He used a front tube and wheels and fenders from a balloon tire bicycle and other little pieces from airplanes and whatever he could fab up or find.

dc3_110.jpg

Here he is with my mother when she was 9.

dc3_210.jpg

I had it running and enjoyed cruising the neighbourhood, but then the brake broke and then the spring on the kickstart broke and it got sidelined and I haven't got back to it, yet.

BUT....I've just realized what project bike I need to build. A bicycle replica of this motorcycle! :)

Latest posts

Back