New Kunker curious member with Electra C1 Lux

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, As I was searching for a knock-around cruiser for my coastal Carolina community, I heard about Klunkers and got pretty fascinated with the idea of riding the neighborhood with my kids on the old-guy version of the kid's bikes I rode 40 years ago.
Just picked up a near new condition Electra C1 Lux. Maybe a 2018 model based on a 183xxx serial code? Aluminum in "anthracite" green. It's got a few scratches on the top tube but other than that seems to be in original condition. Started looking at mods and this group kept coming up.
The mods I'd like to make seem pretty basic by this groups standards but I'm not much of a wrencher so will be looking for some guidance. I've only put a few miles on her today but know I wanna make some changes.
Basically want to start but figuring out a BMX style handlebar, and a saddle swap. Then in the future some tire upgrades (something a little more knobbie for dirt trails, and of course a cupholder...
Might ultimately decide to add a 3 speed hub...
IMG_9763.JPG

Not sure if that's better for another thread in one of the sub forums?
Anyway, good to find this group. Gonna start surfing around. Would love to hear any recommendations.

Hey folks, As I was searching for a knock-around cruiser for my coastal Carolina community, I heard about Klunkers and got pretty fascinated with the idea of riding the neighborhood with my kids on the old-guy version of the kid's bikes I rode 40 years ago.
Just picked up a near new condition Electra C1 Lux. Maybe a 2018 model based on a 183xxx serial code? Aluminum in "anthracite" green. It's got a few scratches on the top tube but other than that seems to be in original condition. Started looking at mods and this group kept coming up.
The mods I'd like to make seem pretty basic by this groups standards but I'm not much of a wrencher so will be looking for some guidance. I've only put a few miles on her today but know I wanna make some changes.
Basically want to start but figuring out a BMX style handlebar, and a saddle swap. Then in the future some tire upgrades (something a little more knobbie for dirt trails, and of course a cupholder...
Might ultimately decide to add a 3 speed hub...View attachment 225457
Not sure if that's better for another thread in one of the sub forums?
Anyway, good to find this group. Gonna start surfing around. Would love to hear any recommendations.
Coastal Carolina? Whereabouts?

Here's some inspiration for you

https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/show-us-your-klunkerz.23538/

Coastal Carolina? Whereabouts?

Here's some inspiration for you

https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/show-us-your-klunkerz.23538/
Thanks for that link - gonna dig through it and see if can find some bars that interests me.
I'm in the Myrtle Beach area. 48 y/o overweight looking to get in better shape and keep up with my 5&6 y/o kids.
Already have questions as I'm looking to keep a similar upright posture/geometry but I think I want to be able to over grip (thumbs down) the bars like I'm used to on my more recent flat bar bikes, instead the more forward (handshake) type grip of the cafe bars.
Getting the right stem and bar measurements is daunting.

Welcome aboard!

That bike is great as is. When you are making a bike into a klunker, you'll also need a bike to ride while it's being built.

My suggestion would be to find a bike on CL or used that needs tires and things and use it for your klunker, leaving the Electra ready to ride any time. Since you are new to wrenching, you'll learn a lot from an older bike that needs work and won't be accidentally ruining some parts that are costly to replace.

Just start a build thread and ask as many questions as you like.

That bike is great as is.

My suggestion would be to find a bike on CL or used that needs tires and things and use it for your klunker, leaving the Electra ready to ride any time.

Just start a build thread and ask as many questions as you like.
Knowing wisdom when I hear it, I think I’ll take your advice Wildcat.

I think starting from scratch just seemed too daunting for someone that’s never repacked a hub but I’ve always wanted to learn to work on my bikes as the salt air/flooding seems to play heck on everything here.

I hate to admit that I scrapped a bunch of bikes recently that were claimed by Hurricane flood waters. Now I’m thinking I could have put some of those parts to good use.

I guess I first need to figure out what I need to be looking for when looking through the scrap piles.

I’ll start a new build thread when I figure out exactly what I’m going for and go from there. Thx.

Coastal Carolina should have a lot of beach cruisers on Craigslist for cheap. I've seen at least one person in any city who has a big pile of junk bikes that are good to pick through. If you find something like that, take some pics and we'll suggest which ones to get. That's how I found my Dyno Taxi, in a big scrap pile. It just needed a seat and handlebars and tires. And a good cleaning.

17857628_120300003071735778_2112223958_n.jpg

52846_06edffbc7d5ad36505f68d49097a1c52.jpg

I'm down hwy17 from you by the GA line. And same age

Agreed on scouring CL, or go hit up the 5,000 bike rental places. You can probably find a Jamis or something similar for cheap. Swap out bars, maybe stem. Find a seat you like. .............

Pretty soon you'll be an old pro

Doesn't take long I got my first bike about 5 years ago after a stroke and they took my license needed away around. After cruising for years on a vintage British motorcycles bike seemed natural.Few tips stay away from the British and French bikes gears systems for now(they'll come later) Find cheap it's easy to get in sucked into the expensive want list. Just have fun.

Uh oh, I just discovered that Workman bikes expanded to my home county right here in Conway, S.C. a few years ago. Looks like this factory is mainly used for painting and assembly. But, it seems appropriate that I build a Workman mash-up of some sort. Feel like I've just fallen in the rabbit hole (or should that be rat hole?).

The problem I foresee is that I live in a raised beach house where even our garages have large vents. That Salty humid air is not good for steel parts and I've learned to use aluminum or stainless on anything I want to last for long.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back