New member from Maryland

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New member from Maryland here. Just picked up an '83 (or thereabouts) Earth Cruiser to go up and down the beach board walk in the coming years. At 60 years old, I figured its time to turn in my Mountain Bike for a nice easy to maintain cruiser. I saw the lines on the older Earth Cruiser and just love the looks of it it, and love the fact that there are no hand brakes or derailleur to keep maintained. I plan on cleaning it up, taking it apart and getting everything clean and greased, and then put it to use! I have already learned a lot about it from this forum, so thanks!

20221127_222802.jpg

Cool. Looks just like a Schwinn cantilever frame. That will be fun to take apart and put back together. The stem looks a little unique. If it was me, I would take the foam off the handlebars and show off the unique stem. I bet you could completely overhaul that bike without spending a dime. Although it sure is fun buying new parts!

Taking the foam off was one of my first thoughts also. Yes, a little grease and some work and I think I will be ready to go. Id like to keep it original but may add some things to make it more useful, a rack might be nice but will definitely take away from its simple design.

Earth Cruisers are rad, nice pickup! I love that the decals on the fork are intact. Does it have any graphics on the back of the saddle? If it says "CHEEKS" on there, it could be the original too

No Cheeks, just a nice comfy Selle Royal saddle. It has a Sand Jams decal on it, which i think was mid 80s? When was the foam handlebars going on with these? I took that off last night and the shiny chrome underneath looks great!

They had a set of pedals for the Sand Jam editions as well, so cool, and sums up the theme perfectly:

download (3).jpeg

Plastic on one side, for shoes..
images (3).jpeg

Rubber on the other for barefoot riding.
There were foam ones, but they didn't last. The rubber ones might be by Wellgo

Those are really cool, thanks!
I would love to replace the pedals with something close to original, I don't imagine anything being made today has that mullet thing going on (one side for business, one side for fun). But it looks like Wellgo, and others make some nice all barefoot pedals.

Latest posts

Back