New member looking for ideas. How would you convert my custom frame to electric?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to convert this custom frame I built to electric. How would you do it? Looking for ideas.
It has a seven speed internal gear hub with a coaster brake.
Should I just build a new custom frame?

Attachments

• Low shot.jpeg
    Low shot.jpeg
    321.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Looking down.jpeg
    Looking down.jpeg
    211.2 KB · Views: 2
  • left crank close up.jpeg
    left crank close up.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 1
  • hands.jpeg
    hands.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Front close up copy.JPG
    Front close up copy.JPG
    227.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Rear close up copy.JPG
    Rear close up copy.JPG
    284.5 KB · Views: 2
Thank you for your comment.
I feel like throwing away the seven speed is a waste.
Although I do admit the breaking will be terrible, with the coaster brake, if I consider a mid drive.
I would love to hear your opinion on mid drives.
I was thinking at least 1000 W and I want a huge 52 v battery.
I am just tipping my toe into the water of Ebikes technology.
I would love any help you are willing to offer.
If you have experience I would love to learn from you instead of making mistakes.
Thanks again

I'd say save the seven speed hub for something else. I don't know if internal gears would handle the power output. You don't have to throw it out either, the Nexus wheel could be sold to finance the build, should be worth at least a hundred bucks

I'd say save the seven speed hub for something else. I don't know if internal gears would handle the power output. You don't have to throw it out either, the Nexus wheel could be sold to finance the build, should be worth at least a hundred bucks

There is no way to put a derailer on this frame. I would be limited to a single speed transmission. I don't think that'll work with hills. Is there an option I'm not considering. An electric wheel with a transmission inside?

You will burn up the coaster brake
No doubt! This is the big concern for me right now. I plan on getting front brakes with the electric build. I wonder if the electric motor has a regenerative braking and will slow down the bike on the de-acceleration. I have no idea. Do you?

they make front hub motors with disc brakes. that way you could keep your 7 speed hub.
I had considered the front hub, but I am concerned that there is not enough weight on it. I am concerned about the handling characteristics and traction with so little weight on the front. I do appreciate your comment. Do you have any first-hand experience with front wheel drive?

i have a low powered one on my bike. it's more of an uphill assist. i don't think you will have any problems as long as you're careful with the throttle, if you go with a very powerful motor. i would be more concerned about wheelies with a powerful rear hub motor, but then I've never tried one.

i have a low powered one on my bike. it's more of an uphill assist. i don't think you will have any problems as long as you're careful with the throttle, if you go with a very powerful motor. i would be more concerned about wheelies with a powerful rear hub motor, but then I've never tried one.
There will be no wheelies on my bike! Lol!
You make me laugh with the image, or idea, of a wheelie on that bike.
What about in the wet? Do you find good traction with the front wheel drive?
How long have you had your unit? Reliability? Range? I would love to hear anything you want to share.

i have not ridden it in the rain. it doesn't have enough power to break traction on dry pavement. honestly, i haven't used it except around my neighborhood, so i can't say anything about range. there's plenty of YouTube reviews on the different motors.

i have not ridden it in the rain. it doesn't have enough power to break traction on dry pavement. honestly, i haven't used it except around my neighborhood, so i can't say anything about range. there's plenty of YouTube reviews on the different motors.
I have watched many many videos. I think I have a plan, but wanted to hear ideas.
I am old enough to know I don't know everything.
Thanks for your comments.

I would use a midmotor. It looks like there is enough space in the triangle so that the motor wouldn't hang under the frame. It will also allow you to keep your gears.
If you want to keep the coaster brake and not switch to a freewheel hub you would need a tsdz2 which works with a coaster brake. The bafang is a freewheel motor (when you backpedal the chain ring doesn't turn). They were supposed to make a coaster brake compatible version, from what I read online, but I think they never did.
I see that many people think that with electric conversion you need a brake upgrade. Not really, the difference is not noticeable, plus you could always use a disk brake in the front - and the front brake is the one that has more stopping power.

I would use a midmotor. It looks like there is enough space in the triangle so that the motor wouldn't hang under the frame. It will also allow you to keep your gears.
If you want to keep the coaster brake and not switch to a freewheel hub you would need a tsdz2 which works with a coaster brake. The bafang is a freewheel motor (when you backpedal the chain ring doesn't turn). They were supposed to make a coaster brake compatible version, from what I read online, but I think they never did.
I see that many people think that with electric conversion you need a brake upgrade. Not really, the difference is not noticeable, plus you could always use a disk brake in the front - and the front brake is the one that has more stopping power.
I have been looking at the Bafang, and the only problem I see is with the bottom bracket. I really appreciate your comments, and will look at the link provided. I assume you like the mid drive option. I think that seems like the best idea. There is some new old stock available in Canada of the Bafang. I have seen that the new mid drive locks you into using their battery. I want to get the older version. Do you concur?

You could go with a Bafang Mid Drive 750w or 1000w. That way you can keep your 7-speed hub and coaster brake though you might want to look into different brakes.
I have an MTB that I have converted with a Bafang 750w Mid-Drive and a NuVinci 380n Rear. Rides sweet.
I think I am sold on the1000 w mid engine. I built a custom frame around the NuVinci hub when they first came out many years ago. A perfect drive hub for the mid engine. I'd like to see a picture of your bike. Thank you for your comment.

Yes, a little dirty. Rode through the early part of last winter, then I got a car. With this set-up, I got around 30mph.

Attachments

• 20220720_160730.JPEG
    20220720_160730.JPEG
    341.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220720_160745.JPEG
    20220720_160745.JPEG
    304.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220720_160830.JPEG
    20220720_160830.JPEG
    283.8 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back