New member with fresh barn find!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi im Chris here from Belvidere,IL. Just found a Barn Fresh EL Camino Coast King thats been sitting in a barn for the past 20 years!!! Bike is in great shape! Im very Anxious to learn more about this bikes history. I payed $60 bucks for it... How did i do? other then the tires being different the rest of the bike seems to have aged the same and seems to all be original. Have done some research on it and seen some similar looking bikes but mine seems to have different features then all of them... Would love to learn more so if you know more about these bikes (seem to have been sold from coast to coast hardware stores) please tell me everything you know or send me links to find more info Thanks!!!!

bike.jpg

Welcome! Your bike was built by Huffy for Coast to Coast. You can find the year from the serial number. Huffy used the last digit of the year as the first number in the serial number. For example- 6H****** would be a '56, '66, or '76. Your bike looks to be from the mid to late 60s. You got a decent deal at $60. Tear the bike apart, clean it up and ride! A little elbow grease and it will shine like a new penny.

Thanks for the info! I will check the serial # tonight to see if I can determine the year is based on your info. Any suggestions on bike clean-up? I really want to preserve the original paint and chrome. I've heard a lot of different ways to clean, some saying to use a brillo pad which would be way too corse IMO. A mild soap and warm water then a waxing? Someone said to spray whole bike down with wd-40 first before I wash? Thanks for your input!!!

Found the serial # it reads 3H089021..... The head badge reads Coast King coast to coast stores... The front tire i would assume to be factory it reads Coast to Coast stores- Coast King Safe Flex - BY US -NYLON... Should i assume by the bikes design that it was built in 1963? can any of the other numbers determine month/day or mean anything related to the bike manufacturer?

EL Camino said:
Found the serial # it reads 3H089021..... The head badge reads Coast King coast to coast stores... The front tire i would assume to be factory it reads Coast to Coast stores- Coast King Safe Flex - BY US -NYLON... Should i assume by the bikes design that it was built in 1963? can any of the other numbers determine month/day or mean anything related to the bike manufacturer?

'63 would be correct. There aren't any official records to narrow it down further but some members have compiled S/N list from some manufacturers and may be able to help.

As far as clean up goes- my first step is usually the local car wash. I hit the bike with high pressure soap and water. Then take it home and tear it all the way down. I use Turtle Wax polish on the paint and attack the chrome with Chrome polish and a rag. If that doesn't get rid of all the surface rust I move up to 0000 steel wool and a lubricant (the chrome polish, WD-40, clean motor oil, what ever is handy). Oxilac (sp.) Acid is a less labor intensive means of cleaning the chrome but I have never used it myself. Lots of threads on here about it.

Once everything shines to your liking a coat of wax will finish that portion of it. Now take the hubs apart and clean all the 50 year old grease out of them (bottom bracket and head set parts while you are at it). When they are clean grease it all up and reassemble your new bike. I have made rebuild threads covering most hubs from this era to help everyone with making their hubs work like new. An index of my hub info can be found Here.

You might also check out the How To Manual, it contains an index of some of the best threads from the How To section.

If you have any questions or need help ask away. We will help get you fixed up.

Thanks for all the info you've been great! I will use your sources and let you know how it goes.... thanks again!

I just found the female twin to this guy except she is blue. I can't seem to find the serial number on this one -- ideas?

Welcome! Great find and 60 bucks is a good deal. On these old, REAL chrome bikes, not chinese chrome, all you need is a wet SOS pad to clean the rust off it. SOS pads will not scratch the chrome. I clean all my vintage chrome hot rod parts with SOS pads. I promise, you will NOT scratch the chrome. Make sure you use water with the pads too.

Latest posts

Back