New monthly SO CAL ride starting Jan 29th!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New monthly SO CAL ride starting Jan 29th!

Here it is....a ride for all you Inland guys that dont want to drive all the way to Long Beach on a Sunday morning...you'll have time to go to church or sleep more....

If you have any questions, email, text, or call me (Benny)w/ the info on the Flyer.

Facebook search: IE Flyers

Facebook website: http://www.facebook.com/pages/IE-Flyers ... 22?sk=wall"

FIRST RIDE event website: http://www.facebook.com/events/220274128059808/

ry%3D400

MadMax '58 said:
Hi, I'm new to the forum and live locally in the IE. I agree that it would be nice if your monthly ride was also open to all bikes with the emphasis on the pre '58. I believe that once some of the other riders see in person the beautiful classics, they then may aspire to own one themselves. Because of funds this is the situation I find myself in, but yet would like to come out and enjoy a friendly ride....Just my 2 cents worth....Thanks. :D

That's exactly how the Cyclone Coasters group rides in Long Beach went from five to 150 riders in only a few years!

This is a tough deal...as vintage bike collectors and enthusiasts, we want to showcase the old bikes and bring collectors together. The Coasters ride has always been a "vintage" ride and the motto is "Ride Vintage" but they were quickly overwhelmed with a large turnout of newer bikes that stayed and rode despite the hints so they opted to let it be "open" and not turn anyone away...but that is not how it started. It is the original posters ride so let him do as he wishes...and organize your own cruiser or rat or custom or open ride too...

My mistake.
I've never had any bad vibes at the CC rides, and I haven't ridden a vintage bike at any of them, so I assumed that they're open to all cruisers.
I never realized that there were people who were actually displeased to see non-vintage bikes on the group rides. That is unfortunate.
I finally got a vintage bike, and I'm anxious to ride it at the next CC ride. Most of my influence came from other CC riders as well as RRB.
I enjoy seeing bikes of all kinds there and being part of such a huge biking group! I hope no one loses sleep over what other people ride!

I think the CC rides are more of a "vintage" as opposed to ratrod bike ride. But in at the same time your bike can be a barnfind rat and still not be a ratrod bike. I don't think the CC riders are displeased when we see new bikes,rat rods or bmx bikes. You have to start someplace, as long as your riding a bike your trying. We had a rainy October ride and Bernard busted out his first year vintage Schwinn Mountain bike, it was about a late 70s early 80s bike. It was all original and in nice condition for a a 20-plus year old bike.

Just an note to guys starting rides and going on CC rides, MAKE SURE KIDS UNDER 18 have helmets on.!!!
There are instances where kids are riding with no helmets, if something were to happen in a large group someone would have to pay or the whole ride would be done.

I cannot speak for Frank or Bernard (the organizers of CC).
However, I've been attending the Cyclone Coasters rides for the last couple of years, and the ride is open for everyone. It says so right on the web page. The only people who have been discouraged from attending were those who insisted upon bringing boom box stereos on their bikes, and blasting loud music along the route.

Some few folks do show up with generic beach cruiser bikes. Others are riding Raleighs or other "English Racers" , military bikes, novelty bikes, as well as 60's and 70's vintage lightweight Schwinns and 70's vintage Spitfires. Some bring out their re-pop Columbias, and Roadmasters, customs, rat rods, and once in a while a few of the folks from Chopaderos come out. Some times the Compton Kings of Schwinn (hope I got the name right) show up with their wild customs. I've ridden my Spoiler, and my Rat-rod Dragonfly bike, as well as the classics. It's all cool, and in this one rider's opinion it just adds to the fun. The only bikes that really just wouldn't fit in would be fixies, BMX, or ten speed style road bikes.
I did make it out to the Riverside ride last Sunday, and we had a great time.(Write-up over at the CABE) There is a small bunch of Rat Rod riders from Riverside (I always refer to them as the Riverside Crew) who come out to Long Beach for the CC ride. They were there Sunday as well.
I traded a couple brief e-mails with Benny Reese, the organizer, and he is trying to keep the focus of this gathering on the older vintage bikes. It will be his call if he wants to extend the core group to some of the newer machines.

In the mean time
What is to stop us from starting an official
RAT ROD RIDE?
First, and last Sundays are spoken for. That leaves us four Saturdays, and two Sundays a month to choose from.
I'll toss out this for a suggestion, and let's see what happens:
How about Second Sunday in the month- one week after Cyclone coasters.
And for a location- How about Huntington Pier as a meet-up spot?
Send me a PM if you'd like to trade notes on starting a new cruise. If it looks like we can get a core of a few folks to start out, we can hash out details. It may turn into a regular event, or it may fizzle. It's all up to us, isn't it?

JWM

GameBent said:
My mistake.
I've never had any bad vibes at the CC rides, and I haven't ridden a vintage bike at any of them, so I assumed that they're open to all cruisers.
I never realized that there were people who were actually displeased to see non-vintage bikes on the group rides. That is unfortunate.
I finally got a vintage bike, and I'm anxious to ride it at the next CC ride. Most of my influence came from other CC riders as well as RRB.
I enjoy seeing bikes of all kinds there and being part of such a huge biking group! I hope no one loses sleep over what other people ride!
Nowhere in my post did I say anything about anyone being "displeased" so don't be so sensitive...I was simply letting people know the history of the group as a matter of definition. The big rides are a great opportunity to meet collectors from all over California so enjoy...

as a so-cal rider and owner of 13 bikes, uh, i think it was 13, could be 14 by the time i finish this post, i ride whatever strikes my mood, or whatever i left in the back of my truck from the last ride, okay, so start a bike ride, if i'm not working, i'll be there... and yeah, okay, you want vintage,rat rod,customs, whatever it may be on the ride, but at least say all bikes are welcome, have fun and enjoy the ride....
i have ridden with my bikes at critical mass in fullerton, and done a few rides around the LA area where i was the only cruiser, the rest of the riders were fixies and still had a blast riding my bike, even if they left me behind......
hey, as long as they weren't wearing spandex, i'm riding to my heart's content, i'm always happier when i'm riding my bike :)

Latest posts

Back