New Name "Shameless" Frame is not Bent... just poorly built!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, Better late than never. I am echoing a lot of builders when I say this, but really wasn't planning on doing this time around. I wasn't motivated and really busy with work and since I promised my wife we would reclaim our backyard from the Dogs this summer, the funds are slim. Then I remembered seeing my old Hawthorne Moto-Bike frame in the corner of my shed when I was getting my lawn mower out the other day.

I have no idea where I am going with this frame but I am sure I'll get there! If I remember the reason I parted the bike out in the first place, the frame is slightly bent hence the name. I plan on taking advantage of our rainy weather and figure out where its bent.

DSC00423.jpg

DSC00425.jpg

DSC00424.jpg

Re: U-Turn(name will not stick)

Thanks Gerry, yeah lawn got mowed, but until the bike gets done ...well, that's a different story.

Re: U-Turn(name will not stick)

I see ya whole build in parts behind ya frame. C'mon I'm with ya. You have 2 in a half months. I know ya have it in ya. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

New Name "Shameless"

Ok I thought about it and I now have a direction to go in and I know what I am going to do. Just need this rain to stop so I can strip the paint!

The bike will forever be known from this point on as "Shameless"

Bent Frame no...Poorly Built Frame yes

So for the longest time I thought this frame was bent, it rode bad and always want to turn on you, it seemed like a dog chasing its tail. Well after some investigating I found this

Chain stays on left of the bike 1/8" from the edge of the Bottom Bracket

DSC00428.jpg

Chain Stay on the Right of the bike almost 7/16" from the edge of the bottom bracket

DSC00426.jpg

Off center Tubes

DSC00429.jpg

The seat tube is centered on the Bottom bracket but not on the rear triangle. Also noticed the holes for the fender mounts were off center in their braces. I knew there was a reason I never messed with Rollfast Bikes!!

SSG said:
Sure that stay isn't offset to avoid hitting the chaining?

I am pretty sure, I personally have never seen anything like this. The original chain ring was just a regular plan jane star, its my understanding if they put a offset in the frame to avoid the chain ring it was in the lengh of the stays not their placement on the bottom bracket. I did check my Shelby Moto-bike and its stays are centered in the bb and the seat tube is in the center of the stays unlike this thing!!

I documented some poorly built features on my '76 Murray a few updates back, mostly the canti bars not lining up at the seat tube and where they terminate on the down tube. Cross member welded in crooked too.

Mine won't affect anything unless you look close. Glad to see it wasn't just my bike that was built on a Friday.

skillsthebarber said:
is this something that can be fixed?

It probably could, but would need a frame jig and some welding,...I don't have either! I'm just going to leave it, its been that way since '33-'34.

Back