New Obsession

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm an avid mountain biker. It's been my thing for a few years now, got a few scars and a busted helmet to prove it. This isn't about that, though. It's about two-wheeled locomotion. I'm sort of in love with it.

Thing is, though, my knobby tire rig is really only good for getting around on dirt, and I don't like being relegated to being a dirt-monkey knuckle dragger. I mean, I'd like to be able to just hop on my bike and hit up the market for a quick run, or maybe ride it around town in the spring and summer (and dry times during the colder months). And I'd like to accomplish this without having to put on my clipless pedal shoes, to boot.

So that got me thinking: it's time for a cruiser.

As I was poking around online, I stumbled upon you guys here at RRB, and it's gone downhill since then. Long story short, I've gone from wanting to simply modify a bike to going for a full build. I've got this amazing idea floating around in my noggin at the moment, and it's going to require the purchase of new tools - woodworking tools.

So what's the deal now? Well, I've got a build, I've got a forum for discussion, I've got a camera, and .... it, I've got an internet connection. New Belgium Brewing Company is doing their Tour de Fat and will be in San Francisco in September, so I intend to be complete with my build by then. Game on.

DonQui said:
Welcome! :D
A bike made of wood??
You can do it!!!
Haha, thanks, Don!

Well, not quite made of wood, but certainly as many wood details as I can possibly squeeze onto some old beater frame. I'm half torn between a rat and a repaint. Well, leaning more towards painting or having it powder coated. Any experience doing either of those things?

Hey Fireproof! Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll be sure to post updates as I go. btw, I've got a great model to follow, thanks to the build that you and your daughter are documenting. Amazing work, and I LOVE what you two are doing.

It's not the product, it's the project, right? :D

PabloAntonio said:
It's not the product, it's the project, right? :D
You are so correct! Our project has been very rewarding on many levels. (Just between you and me, I’ve actually been honing some skills that I think will be quite helpful on my next project . . . a 1936 Ford coupe). Thanks for the compliment . . . I’m humbled, that’s for sure. All the best on your project, and if yer able to make it to Sacramento, we (about 75 bikers) have a good time riding on “Second Saturday”. . . we’d love to have you join us! 8)

Latest posts

Back