new ride with hub issues

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
put the bike up on the rack and noticed a few things- the front hub has a stripped axle and i need some parts - the front is marked s2 on the rim and schwinn in script on the hub. anyone have a new axle with all the hardware out there ?

i noticed the rear wheel was spinning very slowly and took apart the hub - it is marked new departure on the axle, but no marks on the hub that i can see. there was one broken steel washer and the threads looked ok... my question is- there are a total of 9 steel washers and 8 brass. is this the right # of washers ? i can post some picks if need be....

one quick thing - it has a planes, train headbadge that is beautiful.. is that correct for a 55 dx ??

I'm pretty sure the axles are a proprietary thread, but other axle/inner bearing race types can be swapped in for the front wheel. The brake plates need to be oiled so they will separate, and the bearings greased. sounds like you have enough plates, you may be able to eliminate the broken plate and one of the other type.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30484&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15

Schwinn front hub was made in Germany and has metric thread axle. I think it's 7mm IIRC. You should be able to get one easily on the wanted forum. Gary

Latest posts

Back