New shed from scraps

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Early this year our 5yr old left his bike parked directly behind my GMC 2500, I won.. He also won because I upgraded him to a 20mtb from his 20" bmx. I decided that maybe it was time for a better storage option for all the bikes. Time to design and build a shed. Our house is only 7 years old but looks like it's from the 40's. I needed something to compliment the house not just another plywood box (like my tool shed). All materials were salvaged with the exception of 1 bundle of shingles and the 2x12's that cap the box. We also have a long driveway so in the winter I will store sand in it.

Started with an 8'x8', 3 sided box made with 4x6 pressure treated. Next I had some left over 8x8 hand hewn beams left over from the house. This is our 10yr old helping me out with sawzall and bracing duties.

Whoa, look at all those leaves! didn't take some photos for a while there.. Rafters were plywood forms that were used to make a radius in some hardwood for a curved deck. Pine shiplap from a boathouse to deck the rafters then a layer of recycled plywood. Found some left over drip edge and some 3" wide copper to run along the curve. (I didn't like the look of that last 8x8 post and sourced some 10 x 10's from a friend. Cedar trim on the fascia is from a deck tear out. Pretty fun cutting that curve, I only just had enough material to do it. Rafter tails were a mis order from a house I'm building.

Added some flares to the base, again scraps of PT and used advantec. I was sure to caulk all the little cracks in the boxed out flares to at least slow down the bugs... (note better photos with new phone!) Had to cut back the PT base so the shakes would flush out with the front posts.

5/8 red cedar shakes with woven corners look great imo..

Finished it off today.. Cutting the sill around the posts was very nerve racking, came out great though, I'll get some better shots of the corners..

thanks! Only thing I might change is putting a ceiling in it with some high shelves or pegs for helmets. Forgot to mention the light was off a 1920's camp, I swapped in guts from a solar path light. Of course now my wife wants a big arbor to match.. maybe next summer

Latest posts

Back