New to this - good Find? Excelsior

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this out guys. I don't know much about it at all other than the fact that I want to get it rideable for my dad.

Schwinn Excelsior?

What year?
What does NOT look original?
Are the tires right?

What does the serial number tell me?

Help!

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0356.jpg

IMG_0355.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

That is a good find and for the most part the thing looks 100% original. Except the rear hub is a komet with a schwinn brake arm. It could be original or some one could have replaced the back wheel.
A quick way to check would be to see if the front and back rims matched, and check
if they say S-2 then it would defiantly be original.
On getting it working, it would be a lot of work and depending on what you want, it could
cost a lot of money. If you wanted to sell it I would put it on Ebay as is and it would bring
a pretty good amount of money. But since you said you wanted it rideable for your dad, I would
do the basic tune up but keep the original parts, like the seat, so if you do sell it you can
charge more. :)

How hard would it be to find better condition, but still used tires? Are the tires original?

Front and rear rims DO match.

Wow, nice find. Tires are old for sure, but doesn't really matter if they are original. Buy new tires if you (or your dad) are going to ride it. It just safer.

Restoring a bike takes a lot of time and money to do right. Personally, I would take it all apart, clean everything best possible, replace anything you find broken, regrease the bearings and install new rubber. Probably buy a new seat too. Then enjoy.

Btw, what is the Sting Ray thing you have framed behind the bike in the first pic? Bikes, hockey, and the 3 Stooges...we are like brothers. :D

Danimal said:
Wow, nice find. Tires are old for sure, but doesn't really matter if they are original. Buy new tires if you (or your dad) are going to ride it. It just safer.

Restoring a bike takes a lot of time and money to do right. Personally, I would take it all apart, clean everything best possible, replace anything you find broken, regrease the bearings and install new rubber. Probably buy a new seat too. Then enjoy.

Btw, what is the Sting Ray thing you have framed behind the bike in the first pic? Bikes, hockey, and the 3 Stooges...we are like brothers. :D

completely agree!!!

disassemble, re-grease, new tires, RIDE!

One last thing.
Find a box and keep all the original parts with the bike that you replace, such as the seat and tires.
You can always take the new stuff back off.

I'll bet you didn't know that your bike is a fairly rare GREEN PHANTOM! Chrome fenders and tank, green and black paint job with white pinstripes. Nothing else it could be. Congrats! You've got something really good. Here's a pic of one in a bit better shape. Gary
100_4780.jpg

Awesome information guys...thanks! A green phantom, eh? Any ideas on the year? How do I decode the serial number?

Did the bike originally come with white walls? Or black tires like posted above?

Serial is H318784 (as best I can tell)

I will disassemble, clean, regrease, reassemble (with new seat/tires) and give to dad. He WANTS stuff that old and crusty. He would not want it to be refinished in any way.

Is the rear hub original to the bike?

The "Sting Ray thing" behind the bike is a framed print from the movie, "Joe Kid On A Sting Ray".

The small blue framed poster is from the BMX Society Reunion in 2009 in California. Red Wings Stanley Cup mirror, 3 Stooges and some other good ones too....

IMG_1614.jpg

IMG_1613.jpg

IMG_1612.jpg

IMG_1615.jpg

keep_it_warm said:
Awesome information guys...thanks! A green phantom, eh? Any ideas on the year? How do I decode the serial number?

Did the bike originally come with white walls? Or black tires like posted above?

Serial is H318784 (as best I can tell)

I will disassemble, clean, regrease, reassemble (with new seat/tires) and give to dad. He WANTS stuff that old and crusty. He would not want it to be refinished in any way.

Is the rear hub original to the bike?

I'd say most Phantoms came with whitewalls but I've also seen them come with black. Either one would be correct. I've never seen that hub on a Phantom but Schwinn used those hubs on other models occasionally. Maybe they were out of New Departure hubs the day they built your Phantom. :wink: Gary

FWIW - I think those Carlisle tires are not original and not as old as the bike. I am skeptical of the Komet hub on a 1951. I personally never saw one on a bike prior to late 50's.

Latest posts

Back