New York Police officer slams bicyclist

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://www.myfoxchicago.com/myfox/pages ... 1.1&sflg=1 Here is the link if you want to watch the video

NEW YORK -- The New York Police Department has stripped a police officer of his badge and gun after a video posted on YouTube showed him body-checking a bicyclist who was part of a well-known monthly bike ride through the city.
Witnesses said the incident occurred Friday in Times Square during the Critical Mass ride, a monthly protest of urban reliance on vehicles.

Dang, that's pretty harsh. The guy wasn't wearing a helmet and could have cracked his skull open. I'm glad the NYPD stepped up to the plate and disciplined the cop. I know that the Critical Mass rides snarl traffic (especially in Times Square) but the NYC organizers of the ride secured the proper permits to do so. I read that this cop was a rookie, on the job less than four months.

Good thing they found out about this guy before he had a chance to use a gun on someone down the road.

If that was totally unprovoked it was pretty rough. My guess is the guy probably mouthed off to the cop and he reacted....which still doesn't make it right.

I bet it released some tension though. :lol:

I would have seriously disciplined that Officer as well. There is no verbal abuse from anyone that warrants that reaction from any LE personnel. I'm always on the look out when participating in CM rides and let me tell you that I wouldn't hesitate to report this kind of behavior.

OK, I've watched the video several times. I honestly can't tell if the officer purposely slammed the cyclist, or if he pulled a doofus move, and walked right into a fast moving cyclist, bracing at the last moment. Occam's razor would say the latter is likely true.

sure....
He stepped very lively while setting himself to knock the guy off.

The Police are supposed to be trained to handle themselves better than to let an insult get to them. My question is how far away was the guy when (and more importantly if) he said something to the officer?

Stupid move.
Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere
(and related to 2 cops, of which one is a bicycle officer!)

Coming from a Chicago Critical Mass perspective....

Bear in mind I havent gone to one since late last year, but they can be alot of fun in general, and for the most part. In the beginning, people are really excited, and gather at Daley Center. Friends meet up with friends, or see friends they havent seen because EVERYONE is out on their bikes for this. These rides literally stop traffic for probably a good 10-20 minutes wherever they go through. The energy level is really high, most people are in good spirits because its the weekend. Some people in the pack have great stereo systems on their bikes, making that fun to be around.

NOW, it's really interesting because as the bike ride starts, many people have brought alcohol in some form or another and it slowly starts being consumed especially when you're out of downtown and the loop. So many types of people are out, amongst bikers themselves, riding a crazy list of bikes from tall bikes, to rat bikes, to fancy bikes, cheap bikes, you name it they are riding it. I saw once a bike that was covered in a faux wood tape so his whole bike looked like it was made out of wood (sorta :) )

As the ride carries on, many people begin to show thier hatred towards cars. Many probably are complacent about it and are just out for the ride but very many are aggressive towards cars. Being stuck in traffic is a car drivers nightmare, and to be sort heckled at by a bunch of bikers, they become more aggitated. They see bikers venting at them, some weilding beers in their hands like its cool to be a biker and lame to be in a "coffin". Riders can run their mouths at drivers and many of them cops in their cars policing the ride as we go through. It really can be a very climactic time and will cause some serious reactions. But drivers can certainly egg bikers on just as much so it's a double edged sword for sure.

The last critical mass I went to, a driver got so frustrated for being stuck at an intersection, with bikes in front of their car to ensure they couldnt get through, finally pushed their way through forcing bikers and their bikes out of the way. People began to surround the car and many heated words were exchanged, resulting in two windows being smashed by bike locks. They didnt let this car move until all of the bikes had passed. Another seperate incident, a young boy got hit from a car not being stopped came through and ran him over. LUCKILY, he survived with little injury and needed a new bike.

The problem I have with critical mass sometimes is that I know that we are their to stand for not relying upon a car for transportation, but alot of time it ends up being kinda of one up-ing eachother situation. Bikers think they are better, cars think they are better and its this huge clash amongst people not really accomplishing things. It really bothers me when I see alot of bicyclists drinking alcohol, being kinda roudy, being flagrant and flippant when it's really their motives to convince people that bikes are traffic and just as impactful so please stay aware of them. I'm fine with people acting like that, alot of bikers are and thats alot of the fun, BUT when you are in public eye and alot of people are being inappropriate, we as a whole can get lumped into their opinion. No, I shouldnt care all that much, I am confident biker, but I know that how are judged can effect other people so being aware of that is key. I just think it sends the wrong message sometimes.

So, I am not surprised that a cop got so infuriated with a biker enough to hit him. Is it acceptable? Well, no, but people just need to keep themselves in check and just enjoy the dang ride! :D

Anyways, enough ranting. They are just my opinions and don't adhere them to anyone else.

As a long time cyclist I know (or thought I knew) the laws pertaining to bikes.
In all the recent videos I've seen about critical mass, it seems the majority
of cyclists are not staying to right side of the road.

Has the law changed?
If cops wanted to harrass couldn't they be ticketing left and right?
And as stated above, if alcohol is being consumed in public and
while on a bike there are citations to be handed out as well.

Don't get me wrong, I love raising heck, having a few beers on
a sunday afternoon ride etc. But it seems the cops just don't know
how to properly utilize their power at these events.

comments?

it definately LOOKS like the cop rammed him to me, there was about three big quick steps towards the biker that i can tell from lookin at the video.

i wouldnt want that guy wearin a badge in my town.

Little did yall know...he'll be trying out for the Rangers this year. :lol:

Pittsburgh+Penguins+v+New+York+Rangers+Game+7xMgfjgRnfxl.jpg

Brandonehansen has a point. Critical Mass is about raising awareness of bicyclists but we should strive to do that in a positive way. Creating problems and breaking the rules that we expect motorists to follow is no way to make a point.

The video of the NY cop pushing a bicyclist at the Critical Mass in Times Square is inexcusable but I know that many times there are too many cyclists "asking" (or maybe better, "daring") someone to do just that.

I'm all for Critical Mass - love the concept, love the ride - let's just make sure we do it with the right intentions and stay safe and respectful of drivers, pedestrians and other cyclists.

A new fact has come to light. Apparently in another video shot from the other side the cop yells "HEYMANCAN I PLEASE HUG YOU??" the rider says "NO, I REALLY DON'T LIKE HUGS MUCH!" cop replies "TOO BAD, IT'S HUG-O-CLOCK!!"

See, he just wanted a hug.

:roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, I read someplace unreliable that the guy on the bike had caused some sort of ruckus back in the ride and the cops tried to detain him, he rode off and the two you see in the video were waiting for someone matching his description. You can kind of see the guy ramp up his pace as the cop comes near him. I dunno if any of that is true, but I think if the cop wanted to randomly mess with people, he wouldn't have just body checked some guy in front of a crowd.

skoda said:
Seriously though, I read someplace unreliable that the guy on the bike had caused some sort of ruckus back in the ride and the cops tried to detain him, he rode off and the two you see in the video were waiting for someone matching his description. You can kind of see the guy ramp up his pace as the cop comes near him. I dunno if any of that is true, but I think if the cop wanted to randomly mess with people, he wouldn't have just body checked some guy in front of a crowd.

Good point.

xddorox said:
skoda said:

Good point.

in that case i see no fault of the cops

It's kind of like that video of the crowd of people in Iraq pulling down the statue of Sadam and when they back out you see that it was actually about 75 people there.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

Just finished reading a bunch of links on this. After the event, the cop filed a police report, and copies of that report are on the internet. In the report, he says the guy was weaving in and out of traffic, but there's no traffic on the video. In the report, the policeman says the man ran into him and knocked him over, etc. (Keep in mind, the policeman wrote this prior to realizing the video would be circulating!). Apparently, there wasn't anything special about this guy prior to the event; the policeman did just pick him out at random and tackle him. Just a bad deal.

Back