newb checking in...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, 42 y.o. male, from Florida. I've recently become interested in the Beach Cruiser class of bike. Kinda lookin' into a Huffy (Wal-Mart variety ) I think the model I'm interested in right now is called the "Cranbrook". I've probably got the model name wrong,it's been a few days since I've seen it. My intention is to make very subtle changes i.e. ape hanger style handlebars, m/c style grips, removal of chain guard, maybe a custom seat cover that kind of thing. Definitely enjoying the site and hope to gain some insight from the pros.

WELCOME!

Welcome aboard.

Rat rodding is all about making the bike your own. Normally I'd say think twice about removing the chain guard if there's already one on there but since you're in Florida you're probably going to be wearing shorts anyway and won't need to worry about getting grease on your jeans.

Keep an eye out on craigslist and the local thrift stores for bikes. Chances are even if they don't have the exact bike you want, you can find a super cheap one for donor parts. A local bike co-op is a big plus if there's one in your area, they're normally knowledgeable, friendly, and have a large stockpiles of half-priced parts.

Back