Newbie from Charlotte, NC

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,

I'm new to old bikes and recently found this great site. It all started when visiting my mom back in Indiana. I pulled an old Schwinn out of a barn on her property that turned out to be a Corvette. Someone had rattle canned it, but after "lots" of rubbing with paint thinner got it back to the original finish and great patina. Then bolted on new rims, seat and bars and vollla........my first rat bike.

Next I found a killer Firestone Deluxe Cruiser at the Lowes Autofair swap meet as we'll as a Western Flyer 5 speed Buzz Bike, both cool pieces. Then found a Wards Hawthorne (Pre-war I think) at another swap meet. Appreciate any info on any of these..

Also I'm 6'2 so wondering if which middle weight frames were taller? I'm wanting to build a rider rat but would like something that I'm not scrunched up on. Saw a Murry Spaceliner that looks very cool and curious if its a bit taller??
http://s1274.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... 20Corvette

Tks
Tom (McFly)

Welcome Tom! I'm in Kannapolis just north of Charlotte. I am 5'10 and usually just raise the seat and bars high enough to be comfortable. I think the middleweights are about the same frame on average for height. You could check out some of the crank forward design cruiser bikes like Electra, Dyno, McCargi etc. Maybe even try a laid back seatpost. There are a lot of options. Just look around the site.

Hey McFly, welcome to RRB! I'm in Raleigh.

Welcome from Concord NC! We host a vintage Volkswagen Transporter/bicycle show in Charlotte every May. Be on the look out for the topic in the Shows section soon! :D

Latest posts

Back