Newbie from Chicago

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am so glad that I found people that are into this. I was turned on to this site by a guy who is also an active member of this forum. In Chicago there are a ton of fixies--which is cool but I rarely see anyone on a true Rat Rod!

I thought I was a loner in this high style of cycling. I was inspired to build mine when I saw a friend in Huntington Beach, CA where I saw a ton of them with surfboard racks on them. Also I would have to give a props to my Dad that in the 70's when we did not have a bunch of money. He found and old Stingray frame and slapped together my first bike utilizing a springer fork, small wheel up front w/drum brake, ape hangers and a Brooks saddle that he took off and old Raleigh 3 speed. To be honest I was not to happy with he creation because all the kids in the hood had banana seats. When we got into our Evel Knievel phase--that bike was awesome to jump over my sisters friends due to the smaller saddle. My dad got the last laugh when all the other kids started to do it. I will make the bold claim that my dad introduced the first Rat Rod/Klunker in the Chicagoland area in 1972.

Cheers ~ Sergio

Hey Skip,

Depending on weather I will be there for the ride!

I am sending a test photo.

I hope this works!

~Sergio

Red Arrow by [email protected], on Flickr

Ok--I have the photo thing sorted out!

I have a 1969 Schwinn Typhoon that I bought from a grad student at U of C. It was all original down to the ringer (have extra parts if anyone needs anything). It was in pretty bad shape but ride-able. I stripped it down to the bare metal, primed and painted it a flat red. Kept the 2-speed Bendix Kick Back Hub, cleaned it up and repainted the red stripes with touch-up paint from my old MINI. I had the hub refitted with a standard MTN bike wheel with Bontrager Hanks 2.2's. Repacked all the bearings, put her back together and outfitted her with a Faux Louis Vuitton Saddle, Chrome Springer Fork and old ape-hangers with original red Schwinn grips.

It's my first Rat Rod in my adult life. The moment I toke the first ride--I could not wipe the smile off my face! I took her to Union Pier, MI right after I finished it so I named her Red Arrow.

Enjoy! ~Sergio

Nice story and cool bike hope to see ya on the Chicago Sept 25 ride
Gary

Latest posts

Back