Newbie from The Netherlands

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey pedal people,

A short introduction;
My name is Steven. I am from the Netherlands(the home of the basman).I've been riding bikes since i was a kid for transportation use(at the time i didn't think about how cool a bike could look), i am into kustom kulture and my girlfriend is a dutch pinstriper.I am into aircooled vw's too and rebuilding one.

2gtt0s1.jpg

I always wanted a basman, but found them a bit to expensive, so started building a bike for my girlfriend from a (probably)chinese frame and off the shelf parts, after that i had to build one for myself again a cheap frame was the base and again of the shelf parts. I fabricated my own sadle from 2.
here's a pic of both of them;

27zc21g.jpg

Feel free to comment on my first projects.

now i got me a welder. and since i always liked the boardtrack style, that is gonne be my new project.
Inspiration for that build is not hard there are so many nice ones out there & on here 8)
I have a old mountainbike frame(found in a dumpster) and some tubes(parted out bicycle).
I plan to use some drumbrakes(wich are quite common overhere on "daily use" bikes).
i have the frame shape planned and drawn up in my head.
still thinking about a homemade front fork setup(would love to make it girder(webb) style.
I will start a topic on it as soon as i have some pic's and some nice progress.

Welcome to the forum!

Your bikes turned out great.

It's refreshing to see a bike from the Netherlands that isn't 7 feet long with 4" wide wheels. :wink:

thnx,

Too bad though, while cruisin' last weekend my girlfriend wrecked her chainguard.
It had a really bad fold in it so we had to walk to a nearby golfclub and ask the greenkeeper for some tools to remove it.
I am looking for a nicer vintage one now, problem is that those are not easy to find here.
will try and find something on e-bay.

Rat Rod said:
Welcome to the forum!

Your bikes turned out great.

It's refreshing to see a bike from the Netherlands that isn't 7 feet long with 4" wide wheels. :wink:

Everything else is bigger in the States, you have to give us this one :mrgreen: you know size matters !
Bikes turned out great Steven, apart from the chainguard that is...ouch...
Can you show us a pic of your rearlights' set-up ?
Fenders look cool, where did you get them ?

I can;

5d8ac3.jpg

They are nickelplated and supose to be batery powered but those type of bateries are no longer availeble , its one or two sizes up from a penlite.
I still plan to use a penlite in a piece of plastic tube and make them work but there's no on/off switch i guess it works by twisting the part that has the glass in it.
I got them from Toon Mensinck in Oirschot he sels Brick's and vintage workbikes and "bakfietsen" and some old parts, find him on marktplaats.

245cwzl.jpg

I added these to my girlfriends bike recently, I think they look awesome on a girlsbike.

106zjnn.jpg

The chainguard still is a bummer yes, she had handpainted and pinstriped the thing so nice.She had "midnight blue" done in lettering...
But there's a good thing too, when searching for a nos one i get to see a lot of nice ones and she gets another paintjob.
She also painted the two frames (with ratlecans), and about 6 layers of clearcoat.

The fenders I picked up at Cruise control in Den Haag, they are "streetsweepers".

Later..........

Welcome, your cycles are great! love the fenders! ....has your beetle got a 'wizzard' conversion? Like the way it looks either way!

badmuller said:
thnx,

I am looking for a nicer vintage one now, problem is that those are not easy to find here.
Same here in England the shipping costs put them way out of the league...we need to go over to the States with a container!

Boris said:
badmuller said:
thnx,

Same here in England the shipping costs put them way out of the league...we need to go over to the States with a container!

Bummer ain't it?
Today i found out about a guy who buy's all aboned,dumped and seized bicycles, from the city of Rotterdam i think.
He fixes them up and sells them again for cheap.He has 3 containers stuffed with bicycles on his propperty.
His brother has a regular bikeshop.
I will pay him a visit next saturday, maybe he has some laying around, maybe i can work something out.

Fireproof said:
Hello Steven and welcome from California! Your bikes are lookin' good, and I like the wide rims on the rear of your VW. My '67 was painted almost the same color. 8)
Tnx, Fireproof.

i like that colorcombo, altough i will paint mine black after it's been rebuild.
Why? you have to see my blog about it on; http://veebo.net/badmuller.

Latest posts

Back