Newbie ignorance.... Help!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I know these are some serious newbie questions, but please bear with me. I’m terrible w/ technical terms…..

I am planning my first build. I’m going to be exchanging the original 26” rear wheel on my ’62 Fleet w/ one of the 4’ wide OCC style wheels. The brakes on the Fleet are the kind where you just apply pressure to the pedal backwards (see what I mean about tech terms?) and the OCC bike wheel has the cable-grip style w/ a rubber pad on each side of the wheel (there it is again). What I want to accomplish with this swap is to have the “push the pedal backwards” (that’s 3!.....I’m out….) style of brakes for a clean look. What kind of hub/axle/center thing in the wheel will I need for this?

I think I have a plan on how I’ll widen the frame to accommodate the wider wheel but the brake stuff has me stumped since I don’t know the actual names of the parts.

Thanks!

You will need to replace the original freewheel hub with a wide coaster brake hub (back pedal brake) if you can find one. I have seen them mentioned on here, but I don't remember who carries them. Someone here will point you in the right direction.

I've thought about a few more things I need help with.....

Wheels: I've seen the different designation of S7, S2, etc, in posts and ads. What does that mean? Does the designator refer a certain wheel diameter and/or width?

Chains: What is a "skip tooth" chain? How many different types of chains are there? What are they?

Hubs: I've seen psts about kick-back, 2-speed, 3-speed, etc. Are these the kind that have the multiple "mini-sprockets" (i'm sure that not the correct term for them) or are they something else? What do the look like?

I'm sure I'll think of more later, so thanks in advance. Everything I've learned so far from being on here has been great!

Hi Chips,

Best advice I can give you is to browse around these forums and use the search function. Practically everything is covered. There's loads about chains and hubs. The second link deorman posted will tell you loads about internally geared hubs e.g. '2-speed', '3-speed' and 'automatic' etc that you're asking about.

One thing I found recently is these, http://classic-cycle.de/en/Hubs-Axles-Chainwheels-Cranks/Dished-Sprocket-10-mm-offset-22-T.html they're dished sprockets that fit Sturmey Archer, Shimano and F&S hubs. They push the chain line out 10mm if you want to use wide rims.

Good luck and have fun with your build.

Cheers Jonnie

Thanks to you both! I did some searching beforehand but after awhile it all becomes a blur. I'll take a look at all of those links. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back