Nexus 7 Clean and Lube?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I have read about the importance of using the manufacturers specific internal hub grease for the hub and plan to follow that advice. What I am wondering is how to clean it before I put it back together. I'm not going to take it completely apart, I've only removed the assembly from the hub. I would normally use a parts washer but I'm concerned that if I didn't get all of the cleaning fluid out that it might have some negative effect on the lube later on. Plus it might make it difficult to work the new grease through out all of the moving parts. Maybe it would be best to just wipe everything down with a clean shop rag and forgo the parts washer.

Any ideas?

Not sure on the cleaning. I would do a wash it with mineral spirits or something.
They have changed the method, and I'm sure you could find it on their site. Now they say
to soak the bottom part in trans fluid and then use shimano white grease on the brakes
and that part in the wheel.

The way Shimano recommends to do it.
http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content ... _tips.html

07) Maintenance Oil.pdf

Latest posts

Back