Nexus Axle Washers

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I bought a used Nexus 7 coaster and I'm putting it on a pre war Schwinn frame. The hub came with special washers numbered 7L and 7R. They won't work on my frame and I need the correct washers. What numbers do I need and where can I get a pair? My frame is a standard '38-'41 straightbar Schwinn with dropouts pointing to the rear and down.

Also, I read that these washers are to keep the axle from turning. I can see how they would do that, but then what is the purpose of the brake arm? Isn't that the job a brake arm normally does...keeping the axle from turning when braking?
B607
IMG_1304.jpg

Check out Sheldon Brown's website, and then Harris Cyclery (where he used to work) if you want to buy one. The simplest way of explaining what they do is explaining what happens when they aren't there: your Sunday cruise is interrupted by popping, clicking and grinding from the rear hub followed by an inability to shift (been there done that). A more in depth explanation is that an internally geared hub has everything spin with respect to the pieces parts that are on the axle. Without the keyed washers, the axle spins thereby throwing the guts of the hub out of alignment. The best explanation involves taking one apart (how I figured this out after neglecting to install them the first time), not for the faint of heart nor for no other reason.

I have a Nexus 7 coaster hub on a bike. When I first got it I found that none of the special axle washers worked on my application, and I had every different set that Shimano makes. So what I did is ground off the tab on one set and torked on the axle nuts really good. I have not had a single problem in 2 years. Those closed ended nuts are very strong.

Dorian

Thanks Dorian, I will try that. The ones I have are useless anyway. Those nuts are called "acorn nuts", by the way. B607

B607 said:
Thanks Dorian, I will try that. The ones I have are useless anyway. Those nuts are called "acorn nuts", by the way. B607

I have never had a problem with the axle spinning, and I ride the bike pretty hard, you should have no problem.

I should have called the closed ended Shimano axle nuts "cap nuts". Acorn nuts are cap nuts, but not all cap nuts are acorn nuts. Cap nuts better describes them :D I wish I could get "pike nuts" that have the Shimano thread.

Dorian

Okay, so educate me. What is the difference between an acorn nut, a cap nut, and a pike nut? I'm guessing a pike nut has a small "sword" sticking out so you can flatten the tires on a rider next to you. No? B607

:?:
B607 said:
What is the difference between an acorn nut, a cap nut, and a pike nut? B607

All closed ended nuts are cap nuts; but are often given more specific names depending on the visual look or style they have. Acorn nuts look like acorns, Pike nuts look like spikes, Etc.

AcornPikeDDnuts.jpg

Shimano axle nuts have similarities to Cragar lug nuts, which are closed ended cap nuts but not acorn nuts

Cragarlug.jpg

Dorian

Back