nexxus shifter options

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If its cable operated... you still need the little box that bolts on to the axle nut. The box converts cable pull into pushing and pulling a pin in and out of the hub. You could build something to do the same thing but its also nice to have the box as a dust guard...

the nexus hub ive had use a cassette joint, the loose cable end is screwed clamped in place

all depends, the 3 speed stik shifts "click" into place (so do the nexus shifters), the 5 speeds were usually friction shifters for derailers. i dont know if the nexus hubs have equal "pull" between gears or if theyd line up with the standard "click" positions on the 3 speed stik shifters. the five speed shifters might work, but youd have to "fish" for the gear and then youd have to hope there was enough friction for the shifter to stay put without being pulled out of gear by the hub.

i think the main question is Whos done it?, and How did they do it ? :mrgreen:

Ahh cassette joint. Thats not at all what I was thinking.
I know from working on them that the spring has a lot of pull on the cable.
Its always a pain to get cable back in position correctly.
Good luck anyways.

i swapped my 4 speed out for a metal trigger shifter after i broke the old twist shifters plastic housing. it wouldnt be hard to mount it on a top tube and add a stick to it, but it would likely be butt ugly, at least after i was done with it :mrgreen:

and BossHydro is right, theres ALOT of pull from the hub, and adjusting the cable takes a little bit of time/aggrivation too

as mentioned as long as the detentes or gaps between the gears are the same your good to go. a note i think the old shimano 333 hubs used the same spacing between gears as the nexus.

Back