Nirve Chopper Fork Shortening

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought this chopper fork made by Nirve but didn't realize how long it was. It wasn't advertized as being a chopper fork, just triple tree fork. I have no interest in making a stretched out chopper so not sure if I can use these. The chain gang lowriders site says you can move the clamps down and chop off the top of the steer tubes which would be great but mine says right on it not to clamp below this line which leaves me with a 28 1/2 inch long leg. Any ideas why I can't clamp lower. Not sure if maybe there is a reinforcement sleeve that only goes down so far or what. PLEASE HELP! Otherwise they are going up for sale.
Bikes2152.jpg

Bikes2153.jpg

Bikes2154.jpg

I would think if they went to the trouble to tell you not to cut the legs any shorter than a specific length ,then there is a reason....like they are thinner on the bottom part.

If can determine the distance of any difference in thickness, and want to cut it beyond that, you could sleeve it. Or if it's the same thickness, also sleeve! :wink: Or maybe cut + weld where the clamp would hide it. Againwithe sleeve. Or from underneath. Are the end caps welded on there? :?

Well I have taken the plugs off the top to look inside and find that it is not butt welded or sleeved. It is a one piece length of pipe and I can't see the gauge thickness being any different from one end to the other soooo I think they are gettin cut.( insert smiley face with fingers crossed here) Thanks for all the insight guys. :idea: I am thinking now that the line on it that says don't lower plate below this was guide lines for the bike they were meant to go on. If you went lower with the right bike the pedals would be scraping. Thats my story and I'm stickin' to it.

the line is there so that when people put it together they dont go lower than the line and mess up the stance of the bike or worse yet make it so the pedals hit the ground. disregard the sticker and cut away. i do it by putting the wheels on and loosening up the fork legs. spray some wd40 on the legs and you can slide the crowns up and down then step back and look at it till your happy. then mark the top at the top of the uper crown and whack. also note when cutting the steer tube make sure you put whatever stem you are going to run on first THEN mark and cut. dont as me why i say this :oops:

Have those same forks on my felt chief. I cut mine way below that sticker with no problems at all. The forks are the same thickness all the way thru. Just be careful you don't cut them so much that it makes the pedals hit the ground, like karfer67 mentioned.

Thanks Karfer, much more confidence now. Now to find a way to cut a perfectly straight line. I'm pretty sure I saw someone post the proper tool for this on here but I could be wrong. Anyone know where I could get one?

Get one of those conduit pipe cutters that you tighten, twist around pipe, tighten twist around pipe, tighten... you see where i'm going with this. It should work fine.

xHOBOPHOBIAx said:
Get one of those conduit pipe cutters that you tighten, twist around pipe, tighten twist around pipe, tighten... you see where i'm going with this. It should work fine.
Make sure its sharp so it doesnt distort the tubes...

Markm said:
xHOBOPHOBIAx said:
Make sure its sharp so it doesnt distort the tubes...
what he said, by get i meant buy, so i am assuming it is sharp

They're just plain old tube cutters. you can get at any hardware or home improvement store. They work great. I've used them on every pair of handle bars and every frame I've stretched. Nice CLEAN and STRAIGHT cuts.........Put some masking tape over the area you're going to cut, to avoid scratching. take your time and tighten in small increments.....GOOD LUCK!

Thanks guys! I do have pipe cutters but for some reason I had cutting them with a hacksaw in my head. I was picturing something that slips over the tube that had a guide slot in it to keep the blade straight. I'm pretty sure I saw that somewhere. Oh well . Consider them shortened.

Latest posts

Back