No cars on mars saying hello

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, to everyone out there in the Ratrod world. I grew up outside of Boston, Mass, but now live in Oswego, New York on Lake Ontario. I have about sixty bicycles crammed into my basement.
The oldest is a woman's rodpull brake from 1937. It was made for the Selfridge Department Store in London, England. In September I rode it 40 miles in St. Paul, Minn with the [email protected] on their ABCEtour (all British cycling event.)
I do have some bicycles for sale and I now working to rebuild an old Dawes 10 speed. My last project was just fixing up a Raleigh Sprite for my girlfriend. I change out the regular 27 inch front wheel for a 26 inch. Then I added an older style rim with the little chrome piece on the front instead of the squared off ones that are stock. Added a used Brook saddle and a stamped metal rear rack.
The Brooks saddle came off one of the 3 bicycles for a mountain bike inner tube trade. Two Raleighs and a Schwinn. The 1973 woman's Raleigh is now for sale, while the man's 1974 Raleigh frame along with 2 wire baskets were traded for an early 60's AMF Roadmaster that has a sweet tank and rear rack. I think the front wheel went on the Raleigh Sprite.
The Schwinn was rusted, so it was stripped and painted with "hammered oiled brass" spray paint. Now, I have to put the bike back together.
The project before that started with a 1953 Indian Scout (Phillips)frame with a frozen fork that the students that run the Quad Bike Shop at Harvard University gave me. There are over 60 bearings in the headset. The last 2 years, before I left the Boston area I donated over 150 bicycles to Quad Bikes and Bikes Not Bombs. I kept the good ones for myself. Columbia, Westfield, Shelby, Bottecchia, Atala, Motobecan, Lotus, Raleigh, Vulcan, Ross, Triumph, Schwinn and others.

"When man finally goes to Mars there should be a "no cars on mars" rule. We polluted one planet with already with them. So everyone bring your bicycles to Mars when you go."

Always good to see another upstater on board! There are about 40 of us who ride in Kingston. Look forward to seeing your rides!

Ahhh..My sis inlaw went to school waaay up there. I need to see pics of the sprite. I have one white, missing the front wheel also that I am fixing up for my mother inlaw. Welcome!

To Johnny Nightwolf,
When and where are these rides? I am about 140 miles away from Kingston.
To FaceOFFbikes
I have 2 Sprites. My girlfriends is a brown 1976, while mine is a white 1970 with the handlebars flipped and a double kickstand. Both have Huret shifters and stuff.

"When man finally goes to Mars there should be a "no cars on mars" rule. We polluted one planet with already with them. So everyone bring your bicycles to Mars when you go."

I was just about to post this in the events section! I'm a member of a vintage/custom bike club called the Dusty Spokes. Our last ride of the year is going to be on Saturday October 25 in uptown Kingston. Pretty much just a booze cruise type thing. We usually cover about 10 miles of easy city riding, hit as many bars as we can find, and are out all night causing mayhem (responsibly, of course). Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to attend this one, I work saturday nights... :cry: If you're interested in going to this ride, either pm me here, or check out the Spokes myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/dustyspokes

I have about sixty bicycles crammed into my basement

Welcome to the club. Actually, I only have 11 bikes, but they're in the dining room of a small apartment. Same difference.

I'm fixing up an old Dawes Galaxy myself. Guestimate it being from the mid 70's. Beautiful bike. It seems like the tubing is of a smaller diameter than the normal 10 speed frame, which gives it a very delicate and graceful appearance. Welcome to the site.

Back