No Idea

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last parts donor on the stand, a step through Murray westport
IMG_3887.jpeg
scrap metal pile rescue. Some decent stuff here, rusty chrome wheels, good bars and stem, and I like the Murray chain wheels.
IMG_3890.jpeg
and since I’m on a roll, the schwinn is up next. I’m only taking off the parts I’m not gonna use on it. It’s a 3 speed hand brake bike so I think it will make a good skinny tire build
IMG_3891.jpeg
the seat needs to be re-covered and painted, and the wheels are mismatched and all the shifter parts are missing. Everything else will stay with the bike for later
IMG_3892.jpeg
now back to our regularly scheduled programming…

Now that the parts scavenging is done, I can start trying to see what’s going to fit, what’s not going to fit, and what needs to be hacked up in order to fit
IMG_3893.jpeg
I’ve got a pile of parts in addition to my existing parts pile
IMG_3894.jpeg
a big pile of dry rotted junk tires
IMG_3895.jpeg
and a couple good wheels, a few junk wheels with some good parts, and a couple just junk wheels.
IMG_3896.jpeg
Hopefully there’s almost enough stuff here to make a bike…

A. I'm still a big fan of the tan seat with the seat rail. You can recover that. Got a good look to it!
B. Those 'rounder' style bars will fit the swooping double top tube look nicely.
C. Of course, the ultra cool skip toothed chainring!
D. Fork struts ftw!

idiot boy parts.jpg

Great score and an awesome base for a build. Those "zep" frames are killer.

A. I'm still a big fan of the tan seat with the seat rail. You can recover that. Got a good look to it!
B. Those 'rounder' style bars will fit the swooping double top tube look nicely.
C. Of course, the ultra cool skip toothed chainring!
D. Fork struts ftw!

View attachment 232478
I do plan to recover that seat but it might maybe go back on the schwinn I took it off of. I agree on the bars and for sure the truss rods. I have no more skip tooth chains, but there is a swap meet in the beginning of June so who knows? if not I have a plan...

Last night I dug through the parts piles and picked out a few more things, almost enough to build a bike. Of course any of this might change if I find something I like better at he swap meet next month, but it’s good for a start.
IMG_3920.jpeg
My 26x 3” test tire is no where near fitting, and after taking some measurements a 24”3” isn’t going to fit either, so I’m going with regular 26” rear wheel and tire on this thing. Haven’t decided on the front yet, I’ll have to mock up a couple choices and see. For now I’m on to my first hassle, this thing had a seat post shim for a 5/8” post. I took it out and it seems like a 13/16” will fit and I’ve already got a couple, but there’s some slag or something inthe seat tube.
IMG_3921.jpeg
I ordered a 13/16 reamer today, if that doesn’t work I’ll put the shim back and make a 5/8 post I guess, stay tuned…

I'll try to make it to Wethersfield. I sold a bike there last year. Maybe I'll be fortunate enough to do the same this year.

Awesome frame!

Skip tooth chains can be found. A little pricey comparatively, but this bike deserves it. :cool:
usually I agree with that, I just looked, and of my 8 build off bikes, 6 are skip tooth. I have a vision for this bike and one of the things I want to use is a Bendix 2 speed kickback, so I need 1/2" pitch. Don't worry though, my next year's bike, that I'm already collecting parts for, will most likely be skiptooth

usually I agree with that, I just looked, and of my 8 build off bikes, 6 are skip tooth. I have a vision for this bike and one of the things I want to use is a Bendix 2 speed kickback, so I need 1/2" pitch. Don't worry though, my next year's bike, that I'm already collecting parts for, will most likely be skiptooth
I'd love to see a photo collage of your builds, Schultzie! Of course, I'm partial; two (or is it three?) of them were OJ Award Winners.... :inlove:

I'd love to see a photo collage of your builds, Schultzie! Of course, I'm partial; two (or is it three?) of them were OJ Award Winners.... :inlove:
If I had even the slightest clue how to do that I would oblige, but it’s way beyond my skill set

I had a skiptooth sprocket grafted onto the 2 speed kickback that's on my TOC bike. It takes some fitting and welding but it works great, looks right and really helps out on the hills around here.
1684597959984.png

1684597976640.png

1684597994065.png

1684598008967.png

1684598073586.png

Latest posts

Back