Noob with a little restoration project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

So I was referred here from a mountain biking site for some help on a restoration. I picked up this 1967 (guessin on year) Schwinn Hollywood from my grandparents really only knowing they had an old beach cruiser sitting around. Well my Grandma expressed interest in it after I am done with it. So I plan on getting this thing restored and then handing it back to her for Christmas. So far I have started stripping paint off, about 60% done. But I still have not been able to get the bike completely disassembled. I have removed every nut and bolt I could find but still the fork will not come out as well, the neck that holds the handlebar is still stuck and I cannot figure out how to get the pedals, cranks and gear off! This is my first time doing any sort of build with a bike so be gentle. haha.

Well here is a pic of what I am working with, taken before I started doing anything to it:
IMG_1766.jpg

Welcome to the site. Just flood everything with wd40 or some kind of lubricant and remember the left side pedal and crank hardware is reversed thread.

Welcome! You'll be an expert in no time. :lol:

for the neck, dont remove the long bolt all the way. Loosen it 5 or 6 turns and whack it with a mallet. Should pop loose and slide out. Then the large "nut" on the top of the frame (where you pulled the stem from) loosen everything and remove forks..

Thanks for the welcomes everyone!

I got the fork and handlebars apart. CLR is amazing! Just having probs getting the left pedal off then I will have no clue how to get the cranks and gear off...gotta love learning though!

Jutty said:
Thanks for the welcomes everyone!

I got the fork and handlebars apart. CLR is amazing! Just having probs getting the left pedal off then I will have no clue how to get the cranks and gear off...gotta love learning though!
The left pedal, and all the nuts for the crank are reverse thread(if you already know this, sorry. Not trying to insult, just help) So turn them clockwise to loosen and ccw to tighten. Seems odd, but it works, especially with the way everything rotates when you're riding it. :D Good luck, and Welcome!

BrigmasterA said:
The left pedal, and all the nuts for the crank are reverse thread(if you already know this, sorry. Not trying to insult, just help) So turn them clockwise to loosen and ccw to tighten. Seems odd, but it works, especially with the way everything rotates when you're riding it. :D Good luck, and Welcome!

haha, no worries, I am a noob so what seems like the simplest thing to you could mean a lot to me. I tried clockwise, but i will give it another go today after work after another CLR bath. And thanks for the welcome!

I may need to fab up new fenders for this thing, unless I can find some cheap ones. The front fender was lost long ago and the rear might be salvageable, but the rear lip has split and folded up over itself and rusted quite well. But I will see what I can do with a mallet...

Back