Nothing fits me

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have arms like a chimp and legs like a giraffe. I wear size 13 shoes.
All my life I wore 32-36 Levis 501's til I couldn't afford them anymore.
I need a tall bike. Schwinn Heavy Duti King Size are like hen's teeth but I found one.
$700 in ok shape but a crack in the frame.
I have a wire welder and an O/A setup and am semi-confident in my skills.
At 65, do I say "fudge" it and pull the trigger??

Talk to me boys, you are my only hope.
Edit: I also have three ex-wives with no comment. Dog is indifferent.

Last edited:
Said bike:
s-l1600 (3).jpg

Said crack:
s-l1600 (5).jpg

I’m not sure it was the deal of the lifetime, but I’m with you. If it is what you have been looking for go for it. The description mentioned a bendix kick back. That’s in my wish list. Haven’t run across one yet. I picked up 2 heavy dutis this summer. Not king size. They looked like trash, so I got a deal.

C52EB797-4655-4569-A192-EA52BDE7B235.jpeg

There are other bigger bikes out there. This 1935ish Iver Johnson ballooner is the tall frame and is significantly larger than a standard vintage bike. I’m 6’ 2” and all legs and arms. It’s the only balloon tire bike that is close to a good fit. Unfortunately, not a common bike and I just got lucky when I found it.
675F2ECF-B7FD-4CD9-9670-45BE9547FBB7.jpeg
69341A6D-09AB-4F07-8ED3-55615158FCCB.jpeg
4EC8AF67-5788-47D2-B9A3-A80D4C179B51.jpeg

The Schwinn Kingsize is 20", 2" taller than their regular cantilever frame. Some older cruiser frames were 20" also. Here's the common Snyder tall frame:
42548_dfcaa5fa48622a6c63bac75fee4bd386 - Copy.jpg

I would ride that one and watch to see if the crack got any worse, then do something about it.

I've heard it's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission. I should remember that.
It absolutely is. How I do it and it's Nov 4 and now there's 5 Christmas trees and a snowman on my rather expensive turn table, house puked Christmas I want to say something trust me I do. If I suggest a better place for the snow man she walks me outside and shows me why she can't have flowers in the spring.
Snowman looks great on there and I can wait till January to listen to my Slayer record.

Vintage MTB were made based on cruiser geo, and available in large sizes. Maybe you could reverse engineer an old xl into a cruiser that would fit
s-l500.jpg
5cfcd0fa8cae6d9f94024bee2b1b00c0.jpg

I wouldn't call the Ritchey affordable, just showing that 22" frames are out there. Note how high the top tube is compared to the 26" tire. That's some serious standover

I have a Monark frame that was freeze cracked like that and was also cut into right behind the seat on the fat part of the stay. What I did is dermal cut/grind some out and the took it to my neighbor that has a tig welder, after pinch it back together, very little grind and cleanup after. you wouldn't even know it was ever damaged now, I am 6'2" with only 32 inseam, but arms are 38" sleeve. so know what you are going through partway anyway..........Curt

Latest posts

Back