OCC Triple Trees

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I'm gonna be picking up a 26" OCC bike :wink: I want to use the forks on my 1974 26" Schwinn cantilever frame. Will they fit :?: I've only seen people using the 16" forks :?: Do I have to mod them :?: Thanks :D

I just happen to be playing with a pair now. The forks have a 1 1/8" steer tube and I have them mounted on a '49 Monark frame. I had to play around with. Bearings, cups, the amount of torque to the top plate. It is a snug fit, but I like the look. I also shortened the legs to suck the wheel up to the top.

Do you mind getting pics for me Cameron :?: Is 1 1/8 a popular size for them :?:

The mini OCC I tore apart was a definitely a 1 1/8" threadless fork. Maybe different years had different forks? FYI, I had to get the steer tube lengthened to fit my potential RRBO frame (not sayin' what model yet, let's just say it's a 20" bike :roll: ) The mini OCC head tube was 4 3/4" long, the Schwinn head tube is 5 1/2". I don't know how long the tube is on a full-size OCC, it looks pretty long. You could run some headset spacers to make up the difference.
Here's the one I picked up.
DSCF2505.jpg

DSCF2510.jpg

Good luck Nick!
Cheers,
Dr. T

Now that I think about it, I have come across some of the minis in both threaded and threadless (never paid attention to the size). The Big one I am playing with 1 1/8" threadless. I just shortened it to the lenght I needed and moved the threaded plug thingy to the new spot.

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
So I'd have to mod it :roll:

If yours is a threadless headset the mods are simple.

1. Measure the headtube on the bike including cups. Using a pipe cutter (~$10 @ Lowe's) to cut the steer tube down. Inside the top of the steer tube (Prolly the part you cut off) is a small insert that has a threaded center, Tap it out using a hunk of broomstick. Drive it out the bottom of the tube and then reinstall it in the cut down head tube, About 1/4"-3/8" below the top of the tube. Steer Tube Done.

2. If you are keeping with the long fork "chopper" look skip this step. With the fork legs in the lower plate and the binders loose, mount a wheel with tire inflated in the drop outs. Slide the bottom plate down the legs until it is the desired hight above the wheel. Now measure up the legs from the bottom plate and mark the forks at the same length as the steer tube. Remove legs from plate and wheel and cut off the excess above the mark with your pipe cutter. The legs have the same threaded insert as the head tube so repeat that process for both legs. At the top of the legs you will need to notch them to fit the top plate alignment lug with a file or grinder. Leg Mod Done.

Simple.

Thanks everyone :D I'll let you know how it turns out if I try it this weekend :wink:

Latest posts

Back