Of Three Minds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks.
I was thinking plumbing parts when I was at the hardware store, but I wanted this bike build to be bike parts mainly.
That's when I thought about using a derailer.

HomeDepot parts are perfectly acceptable too. There has never been a build off yet, that I didn't make at least 5 HD runs.

So ... I've been working on the bike, but not posting so much... time to catch up.

My solution to my headtube bearing cup problem is this...View attachment 158159View attachment 158160View attachment 158161

I bought brand new 1 1/8 headtube bearing cups, I then took my angle grinder and "dremell" and shaved them down.
Eventually I'll JB Weld them directly to the headtube. View attachment 158162

This left about an inch gap to the top, so I brought the fork tubes up.
Next problem was the steering tube is threaded, so I went down to MY LBS and went through their used parts bin to find a cap to tighten it all down. View attachment 158164View attachment 158165

It was to wide, so out came the grinders again and I shaved off the plastic ring around the metal nut. Now it fits. View attachment 158168

So that was a lot of fidely little crap. As I'm sure, most of you all know, you have to go through this using old parts that weren't meant or designed to go together.
I'll have to do some more fine tuning to button it all up in the final construction, but it's good enough for proof of concept at this atage.
Nice PBR on the wall in the back ground. Would you consider a trade for it?

Latest posts

Back