Off-Roadster (ORBO)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greased up the aluminum seat post with anti sieze and installed the seat on the bike this afternoon.
20211206_161754.jpg
20211206_161726.jpg

Cloudy. Seat is soft and fits well. May take it back apart and add the leather underneath. Will need to put some miles on it. Right now it's like a hammock.

20211206_161712.jpg

Not sure I like the straight post on this frame.

20211206_161704.jpg

That post really makes the difference!!
Agree fully! Seat placement makes a huge rideability difference.

When off-road, I only sit on the uphills, sometimes flat land. Downhill, seat's gotta be low and away.

A large number of the online wrecks that I see are commonly because someone is seated when they shouldn't be. Run it high and sit and then wonder why you have a mouthfuls of dirt and stitches.

Ride on your hands and feet, and have the control you need.

The bent posts on these older frames, help get the seat out of the way and also doesn't require to be as tall on the uphill. Drop posts don't exist for 7/8s that I have found.

Agree fully! Seat placement makes a huge rideability difference.

When off-road, I only sit on the uphills, sometimes flat land. Downhill, seat's gotta be low and away.

A large number of the online wrecks that I see are commonly because someone is seated when they shouldn't be. Run it high and sit and then wonder why you have a mouthfuls of dirt and stitches.

Ride on your hands and feet, and have the control you need.
I often do whole trail rides with the saddle down, especially on 1x1 bikes.

Modern full suspension bikes often help people make the mistake of being comfortably seated when they shouldn't be. Add in the factor that many in this day and age think that watching a few redbull videos (used to be mt dew commercials) will make them an expert in handling a mountain bike properly and we get the aforementioned poop-show. I sometimes wonder how much some of them pay in medical bills when they probably should have invested in a skills clinic for much less, both financially and physically. Then again, many who quickly figure out that mountain biking can be dangerous and strenuous beyond their expectations put those bikes away, only to sell them in pristine condition to those of us who collect, restore, and/or flip them for a profit.

Riding using your Head while on your Hands and Feet is the difference between riding on a mountain bike and actually riding a mountain bike.

....many who quickly figure out that mountain biking can be dangerous and strenuous beyond their expectations put those bikes away, only to sell them in pristine condition to those of us who collect, restore, and/or flip them for a profit.
I picked up a mid 2000s full suspension specialized comp model for $125 that way about 8 years ago.

Riding using your Head while on your Hands and Feet is the difference between riding on a mountain bike and actually riding a mountain bike.

Agree.

Good point on learning the basics. A lot on YouTube to help teach people basics and what not to do. I still learn something something new once in awhile, even if it's just a ride.

Last edited:
There was a dirt road south of town that we would ride to get to one of the areas we rode a lot. It was a flat area in the mountains south of town that had a cold spring, camping areas and lots of trails. Probably 1000 for rise over 6 miles. The dirt road was grated twice a year so it wasn't rutted.

Anyhow, this badger used to chase us on this road. For a couple of summers It lived in the side of a hill on the dirt road in a steeper area with a lot of washboards. It sure was difficult to get up it that hill normally. We would get a little extra push, whether riding, or running with our bikes on our backs if we happened to wake it up.

Noise makers like fire-crackers may have helped..

May need something more powerful to keep certain animals away from that black & blue beauty
Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 should work for most anything.

A lot on YouTube to help teach people basics and what not to do.
Agreed, though personalized instruction tends to accelerate the process well beyond what is available there. Immediate critique on skills taught can fine-tune a rider on the fly in both affirmation and correction on what is being taught. Also, everyone is wired and built differently, so what works or does not work for individuals can be applied to fit their needs.

Your build is outstanding, well done.

Last edited:
Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 should work for most anything.
When I used to ride and hike the high country in Colorado, after the first encounter with a huge black bear, I always carried my Ruger P90, with some heavy hollowpoints in it. Just in case I needed it to save my life. Had to worry about the illegal weed farms back then as well. Never had to use it, but felt better having it.

Your build is outstanding, well done.
Thank You Very Much.

Annual Bile.Club ride at the Glittering Lights display out at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway tomorrow. Put on by Exclusive BC. Will be a fun ride. 100-200 people were there last year.
20211210_183235.jpg

To help be in the Christmas Spirit, I added some lights for the ride. Will remove them for trail rides after the weekend.

Video update on the padding for the crossbar.. Colder weather hit this week and thumb typing is not a feel good thing this morning....

Even details forming own padding... I'm using the same stuff, already formed to fit tubing. Nice vid. That's a good mess:grin:

Christmas lights?? I'm done:blackeye:

That would really brighten up the terrain. Illuminated wheels could be the next big thing for night time visibility. Plus, the weight weenies are always looking for lighter wheels
Hehe, makes me chuckle every time I read it.
Even details forming own padding... I'm using the same stuff, already formed to fit tubing. Nice vid. That's a good mess:grin:

Christmas lights?? I'm done:blackeye:
Christmas ride was a bust. ( literally). Busted the seat clamp bolt at pedals up...
20211213_071053.jpg

Lights are removed now. Will re add them back for certain rides in town, but can't see any good from having them mounted on the hill and get snagged by brush in the wash.

Will stop by the hardware store for a new.carriage bolt and.nut.

This coming weekend will be a no-trail wash ride.

Seat clamp bolt is fixed. Planning a ride by Red Rock, above Blue Diamond today. Will take the loop, detour to the base of black mountain by the horse troughs, and the work my way around the mountain back to the car. Uphill, downhill, uphill, downhill, the uphill again.

In the summer you want to end your ride by 10am, because it's 100F degrees by then. In the winter you want to start at 10am and end about 1pm.

Screenshot_20211227-083717_MTB Project.jpg

Seat clamp bolt is fixed. Planning a ride by Red Rock, above Blue Diamond today. Will take the loop, detour to the base of black mountain by the horse troughs, and the work my way around the mountain back to the car. Uphill, downhill, uphill, downhill, the uphill again.

In the summer you want to end your ride by 10am, because it's 100F degrees by then. In the winter you want to start at 10am and end about 1pm.

View attachment 181547
Glad you got it sorted.

I'm impressed, you're going with a 47T. Unless the rear cog is over 24T that's over 50 gear inches, and carrying weight. For the hills in my area that would be difficult to sustain. The street I live on has the word 'hill' in it. I've gone 50mph down my hill for pizza. The trek back :shake::whew: Athletes who hold events through the town struggle. Can't go in any direction without facing a hill. My location promotes muscle building. A reason my legs are well developed. Sometimes I take a young newcomer along. They remark I'm hardly winded at the tops. Of course, I ride all the time. Wish I could ride with more guys in the 50+ cat on the older stuff. I use the oldest bikes in the group. Predominantly modern road & MTB in the county. Everyone accepts me though. Good at following rules, and I'm FAF.

Ok, realized after posting you're using a kick back... still impressed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back